Where's the Spark?

LikeMySix

Cal's in vegas this week so I'm gonna post here while I try to get ahold of him and maybe someone here can figure this out.
The problem I'm having is there's no spark so I checked the MSD and Coil by removing the white distributor wire from the XFI and those checked out fine. Seems there is no signal from the crank sensor or from the distributor since the lights on the XFI arent lit up on anything besides power. I swapped the A3/A7 wires on the A-32p connector from the caspers 108112 adapter. Also have the dead end connector that is suppsoed to ground and supply 12v to both the cam and crank sensors.
Could this caspers105152 dead end connector be faulty?
This stock wire harness is in mint condition in a 35k original mile GN no other mods made to the harness and the stock motor ran pefectly fine on it. Just have no other Ideas on why this is happening, also checked the factory grounds that mount to rear of pass head they are all hooked up and fine. Swithced the crank sensor between 2 known good units.
When on my laptop looking at the XFI seen in the OPERATIONAL PARAMETERS the Buick DIS ignition system is selected,This correct? or should it be the IPU?
anyways any and all help would be greatly apperciated.

TIA

FGT

just finished swapping the caspers deadend connector105152 with the factory igniton just to see if that would activate the crank light on the XFI, No dice! Soo now it looks to me that it may be the casper XFI-gn adapter #108112 or the XFI unit itself:confused: sure hope not. I'm hoping that its something simple I missed or??

So you're using:
- stock crank sensor
- distributor
- XFI w/ Caspers jumper box
- Dead end connector for stock ingition module
- harness adapter from stock cam sensor connector to distributor connector
- white points wire from Caspers box to MSD ignition box
- Do you have the "+" and "-" correct on the coil

Did you set/phase the distributor?

A little bit more on your build up will help, also.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The +/- wires on the coil are correct,following msd's test procedure by removing the center coil wire from the dist cap placing it 1/2" from a ground and unhooking the white wire from the XFI.Then with ignition key in the on position and the white wire still hooked up to the MSD box only touch the white wire to a ground and the coil wire from center of dist cap that is 1/2" away from ground will spark if coil and MSD is functional and properly installed. Did this and all went well nice strong spark. Hook the white wire back up to the XFI and I get nothing. No crank signal at the XFI,no cam signal at the XFI only the 12v light is lit up on XFI when I turn ignition key on and to start. The crank light turns red for a split second then no light at all. Laptop confirms no signal from crank sensor when turning the igniton key. Someone suggested that maybe the grounds behind the pass cylinder head arent getting a good enough ground from the aluminum cylinder heads but I doubt this since Ive used aluminum heads before and had zero issues with grounding. Only difference now is Im using the TA aluminum block too.
Did you set/phase the distributor?
I've removed all the reluctors from the ring inside the distributor but 1. Cal told me last week that it should still run/idle even without letting the XFI know which reluctor was left. Since the distributor is related to the cam sensor position would it relate to why there is no crank sensor reading? This is quite frustrating been working on this set up for 2 years now took a vacation to get it running and I'm dead in the water, thats my luck:(

So you're using:
- stock crank sensor
- distributor
- XFI w/ Caspers jumper box
- Dead end connector for stock ingition module
- harness adapter from stock cam sensor connector to distributor connector
- white points wire from Caspers box to MSD ignition box
- Do you have the "+" and "-" correct on the coil

This is all correct, also have the BHJ balancer and changed the Crank Reference Angle from 10 to 6 degrees. All power lights are lit on both the XFI and the caspers harness adapter. So I know its getting power.

I don't know about XFI but when going to a distributor with a DFI the ignition statagy has to be changed.

Got an e-mail response from Lonnie he suggested that is was the caspers jumper harness since they were know to have issues if they were purchased before June of last year. Anyone else know of this?