where's the oil coming from?

Mark

My car's had a small oil leak since I bought it. It leaves a drop or two whenever it's parked. I always assumed it was the rear main, so I pulled the oil pan and was preparing to change the rear main seal when I noticed that there wasn't any oil on the back of the block. I ran a Q-tip around the cap joint and around the crank and it was bone dry so I left the cap alone and put the pan back on.

There's oil in the converter cover and the starter's covered. I assumed it must be the passenger side valve cover and oil was running around the starter and into the converter shield, but after changing the valve cover gasket I realized that wasn't it either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Originally posted by buickboy
Back of the intake where it meets the block.
Mitch

Ditto.

I just re-did mine with the seals that come with the Fel Pro gasket set and some silicone. It's nice not to smell the oil cooking as it drips on the cross over pipe.

Jim

Could also be a valve cover or breather. I have had a breather leak, run down the engine harness on the drivers side. Not pretty when you pull up to a light and smoke pouring out of the hood.

Not to insult intelligence but are you sure it's oil? Maybe trans fluid running off of the lines.

If it's oil it could be a oil valley plug but more than likely the intake manifold.

Be sure when replacing intake put a dab of RTV in the corners of the rubber seals (where the heads meets the block)

Also don't forget to torque in proper sequence.

Good luck!

Jason

I have the same issue...small oil leak...little oil on the starter and drip from hole in inspection cover...I've replaced valve cover gaskets...intake gasket...front timing cover...still there...when I removed the tranny for rebuild I checked the back of the block all around the intake and valve covers...it was bone dry??...I have no idea where the oil is coming from...it's only a small drop once in awhile so I have just learned to live with it...I just wipe it clean periodically...nature of the beast...these cars leak oil...unless it's something obvious learn to live with it or you'll drive yourself crazy plus a lot of expense trying to find and fix it...

Ok you guys caught me. I've been crawling under your cars and squirting oil all over the underside. Haha...

If you learn to live with it be sure to check your oil level more often because what goes out is less in the motor. Damn! I'm a genious.

:p

After owning 6 TR's, there is a motto that I live by..

"If it ain't leaking oil, you BETTER put some in it!!"

Hehe...
;)

Oil Leak

I've had that same problem. It was my turbo oil return tube, and/ or oil distribution block,were the turbo oil feed line and oil pressure sender get there oil from. The oil runs along the oilpan rail. It travels to the back of the motor, and some of it drips on the starter.

I think I did my rockers covers twice. The first time I just used Fel Pro neoprene gaskets with sealant. The second time I used a small bead of silicone just paper thin to retain the gaskets. Like the other guys said, they leak oil sooner or later no matter how good you re-seal the motor.

Re: Oil Leak

Originally posted by Ttype6
I've had that same problem. It was my turbo oil return tube, and/ or oil distribution block,were the turbo oil feed line and oil pressure sender get there oil from. The oil runs along the oilpan rail. It travels to the back of the motor, and some of it drips on the starter.

I'm leaning toward this explanation. There is oil around the return line and filter block and the back of the block is dry.