Where to mount a tachometer?

v6turbojunkie

I can't figure out where to mount a tach in my GN. Sort of a newby here. Been putting this together for two years!

Here's the deal, I WON'T be putting holes in the dash because I spent too much time making sure this interior is perfect. I can't find a place to mount. I have a Felpro, do I really need a tach?
What size tach? Any help would be great. Thanx in advance.
John

I had mine up by my sun visor. I took off the front-window upper-trim piece and made an L shaped bracket that I screwed into an existing hole. Replaced the trim piece and that's it.

pics please!

I'm still struggling with this one. I REFUSE to cut on my car, so any and all CLEAN options for mouting a tach are appreciated.

(No ricer-type -bling-bling-monster tachs please!)

I saw a tach made by Steward Warner looks like a flashlite,digital
and has some neat features. It saves rpm's during a run and more. Guy i was talking to at the track said costs somewhere
around $100

I have a 2 5/8" dual a-pillar pod with a tach and boost gauge there (autometer). No holes in the dash needed, just buy a spare a-pillar trim piece and attach. I like the bigger gauges on the a-pillar. Makes it easier to read.

You can make a bracket and put it between the instrument surround(part that sticks out with the speedo in it) and the regular dash.
The surround is mountd to the dash if you back off on the screws the bracket can slip between and be secured and the tach can be above the dash or to the right between the surround and the 2 center vents (not block air flow either) or what ever.
Sorry no pics but, I was the same way and did not want to put holes in the dash.
I am going to go a step futher and make the braket to also hold the scanmaster so I want have the adhesive strips on the dash.

good luck

The best tach is no tach. Shifting a TR yourself only slows it down, or blows it up.

BTW, no tach is very easy to mount...

Old pic of mine tach mount
It's now mounted to a dual pod that has the knock guage along w the boost guage, it's a 3 3/4" Autoguage \w shift light that comes with the bracket that's in the pic. You'll need to do a little work to make it fit just right but nothing major. I like it because I only need to look at one place for all my guages. If u need better pics let me know.

Check out this pic of my tach http://www.msnusers.com/turbofish38/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=47
I didn't want to drill holes either. I did this about 10-12 years. I used an old inside rearview mirror and cut off the mirror and reglued everything back on the windshield. I used the dash mounting bracket that came with the tach and used tie wraps to hold it to the mirror support. If I can find some 1" black hose clamps I will relace the tie wraps to give it a cleaner look. Total cost about $5.00 for a glue kit and $1.00 for a mirror and mounting bracket at the salvage yard.

turbofish, that's trick! I like it.

And Strikeeagle, I don't want to shift manually, but I DO like to see that my trans is shifting where and when it's supposed to.

Thanks for all the help.

Turbofish, that looks awesome! Best part is, all I need is glue, already have everything else! Thanks

Originally posted by strikeeagle
The best tach is no tach. Shifting a TR yourself only slows it down, or blows it up.
Now there is a comment from someone who's never diven a fast car.

I addressed this years ago and put up the ingormation on gnttype...along with pictures. Do your own search.:D