Where to find short block

mred355

Hi Guys. Can anyone tell me what 80's cars have the same short block as my 1987 Grand National. I want to build a backup engine this winter. Not sure what to look for at the junk yards. Thanx in advance. Ed

IIRC, all 1986/1987 naturally aspirated Buick 3.8l motors are 109 blocks like what came in the T-types. Oldsmobile, Buick, whatever came stock with a Buick 3.8 in '86/'87. Check the casting number if you can find it, if it ends in 109, you're golden. The NA blocks don't have the oil drain hole for the turbo, but the boss is still there and you can drill it out yourself. You're rebuilding it anyway, so make sure to check the crank. A handful of NA motors got lucky and received a turbo crank around model year 87, but most are the NA cranks that don't have rolled fillets, so you'll want to swap that out during your rebuild.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/blocks/blockguide.html

Maybe time for a stroker kit? :LOL:

Late 85 and to 89 RWD Pontiac , Oldsmobile, Buick. Check to make sure that 109 is the last numbers in the casting part number on block . This indicates it's the correct 3.8 liter block.

Just to expand on the data above... you will NOT find a Turbo shortblock in a junkyard unless you find an intercooled turbo car in the junkyard.

That being said there's nothing special about a 109 block, they were used in all the late 80's RWD BOP 3.8 cars. All you'll get that you can use is the rods and block though.

You'll probably probably get 8445 heads with it but those aren't exactly hard to find.

If you go out and about keep your eyes out for a 4.1 block because you'd easily be able to sell it and most of them had turbo cranks. Or you could build it instead of a 3.8