Where to buy a Torque Strap?

HouTX87

Hey guys, do any of the vendors carry the correct torque strap? I could make a trip to home depot for an eye bolt and ratchet strap but I read in an older thread that it's hard to find the right size ratchet strap.

I made my own.

All 1/2 stainless. Hooks on both ends.

8ab171d3.jpg

4e84121a.jpg

HR motor mount is all thats needed
Torque straps just break parts namely the hard to find bracket that the alternator bolts to
-Dan

Okay, that may be what I'll do then. I replaced both motor mounts and the trans mount back in January and now the drivers side is already broken again. Didn't take long once the car started making some power. So nobody has an opinion on the RJC rear engine brace?

I had great luck with the mid brace until I started launching the car off the trans break with @24-25psi and a stock mount on the driver side. Ended up breaking the mount and bending the mid brace. Fixed the mount and beefed up the mid brace. Then broke the mounting ear off the trans with the mid brace. DO NOT think the mid brace is the problem! The issue was me being cheap and not buying a HR poly mount for the drivers side with as hard as I was launching the car with no cage in it. I think the mid brace is a great part, it is just like anything else, it has design limits and I pushed it WAYYYYY beyond what it was intended for. It is still in good shape with the mods I made to it. I still have it if you want to give it a try shoot me a pm and we can work out something. Jon Hanson

With the HR mount only on the drivers side will the engine not sit level?
I use to run the strap on both my GN's. I now only use the HR drivers side mount. It works great, has a little bit of vibration in the steering wheel, but that doesn't bother me. I can't tell if the engine is level, looks like it. I would think it would depend on the condition of your passenger mount.

I have an interesting question on the poly mount. Why does everyone put it on the driver side? This makes no sense to me.

The engine will torque/twist around the centerline of the crankshaft so the driver side will rotate up and the passenger side will rotate down. If the driver side is rotating UP then it is lifting that side of the engine which should be harder to do than the passenger side rotating down b/c gravity is helping the PS side go down. I think I would prefer to put one on the PS not the DS. If put on the PS then the engine needs to rotate UP around the PS motor mount which should be a lot more difficult due to gravity. Also the downpipe should maintain clearance away from the frame if using the PS mount. I would also consider using the poly mount on the PS and the tie down strap on the DS....

Food for thought..:D
KS

KEVINS - I'm guessing that the mounts (in general) are stronger in compression than in tension. The moment exerted on the engine is far greater than the gravity load, so the driver's side mount sees a large tensile load. Replacing with a stronger mount helps minimize deflection.

The factory mounts are rubber in the center and metal on the mounting points for the frame pad and engine with only the rubber holding them in place. When the load is increased the passenger side is under compression and the drivers side is under expansion. The rubber gets stretched to it's limint and breaks loose. The HR mounts use a captured bushing (surounded by metal) so there's no stretching going on.

HR mounts are the way to go. Replacing broke stock mounts every year gets old with the torque these engine make.

I used a plate bolted to the rear of the dr head. It had a loop on it that I ran a cable thru, wrapped it thru the lower/rear a arm mount, and secured it with a couple cable clamps. No vibration, no broken alt mounts, or engine mounts. Stock mts at all 3 locations..Ran 9's at 140+, 3700#, on the trans brake.....Never an issue.

Well this is my solution that I'm working on but my engine position isn't stock so the HR mounts won't work for what I'm up to.;) I will be doing these as a how post to when I'm finished but until they're done this is all you get to see.:p
DSCN0006.JPGDSCN0009.JPGDSCN0007.JPG