Where to begin : Restoring my 87 Turbo T

1987RegalTurbo

Boost Addict
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask for your advice and knowledge. I've got a 1987 Buick Turbo T with roughly 100k original miles on it. Body is in good shape, no dent or dings, car had rocker rot and sun fade (plan on a full repaint and replacement of needed body parts). When I bought the car I could get to to start and idle for a few seconds then die. ( I plan on pulling the engine and having it mildly built.) Brakes are shot. Car needs to be gone through with a fine toothed comb. I guess I'm just overwhelmed in that I don't even know where to begin with this car. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. All this being said, it's still a good looking car with what I believe to be a ton of potential.

Best Regards,
Derek

i would say get it running and running right first and maybe drive it. if this is your first turbobuick you might not even like it. also where are you located? that might help getting you parts. also post some pics

For a 100,000 miles stock engine and if nothing has been change, then this site is definitely a start for you: http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html
When you finished with the spring cleaning don't forget to check and or adjust the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor Adjustment), and in conjunction with IAC (Idle Air Control) adjustment, both are located in this site: http: //www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/basics.htm
Good luck, have patience, and keep us posted of your finished results.

I'm located in Auburn Hills Michigan. I've only got one photo on my computer right now. I'll try to get some more detailed ones later on after work. Maybe I was not as hard on the car as I should have been. Under the hood looks pretty ratty and there's so many more odd sensors and things that I'm used to seeing under a hood.

REGAL-1.jpg

I can tell you from personal experience you're about to open a can of worms. Mine was supposed to be a simple rust repair on the rear quarters, body bushings, suspension work, and the engine and tranny. It's gone to a full blown frame off now because of all the little things I hadn't expected to find. If someone offers to come give you a good evaluation of the car and they know what they're looking at then take it but don't be suprised if it doesn't sound good. Sorry to be a downer but with an old car that's the way things seem to go.:(

Are you planning on doing everything yourself? What kind of time frame do you have in mind? What's your budget? There's a lot of different ways to go about it depending on the answers. If you have the funds I would pull the motor and have it built. While that's going on you can do the body work, brakes, vacum lines, hoses, etc. It can get pretty overwhelming fast.

Are you planning on doing everything yourself? What kind of time frame do you have in mind? What's your budget? There's a lot of different ways to go about it depending on the answers. If you have the funds I would pull the motor and have it built. While that's going on you can do the body work, brakes, vacum lines, hoses, etc. It can get pretty overwhelming fast.
Ditto. I go out an piddle with mine every once in a while and still get overwhelmed thinking about all the things I want to do (and the list just keeps getting longer with ideas from here!). My wife wants me to just work on what I need to do just to get a car running again and worry about "my wants" later.

I plan on doing most of the stuff my self, minus the engine build and painting. I've got a 6 car garage and this is the only car in there. I've got nothing but time...

If that's the case then start with pulling the engine and tranny out and start on the body before anything else. It will take you the longest and the engine and tranny can wait until you get the rest done.:)

I'd get it running and drive it, you've got 8 more, 12 month, years of driving it before it rots out completely. :)

Or pull the motor and start in on the body work, as previously suggested, but that's no fun.

drive it for a while, enjoy it some, to set the hook. LOL
I've done many frame off resto's in my life, they are overwhelming!
start with small task's , and complete them before moving on to the next.
make a "Long term list" and decide whats a realistic time frame, then double it!
also $$$ will weigh heavily into the equation.
do not give up, it is well worth the effort, and the results are very rewarding!!!!
Good Luck, and post your progress!