Where is my IAT?

bryanheffernan

So I finally got this car running right and throwing a code 23. I go to check the sensor and its nowhere to be found. What type of connector goes to it? What issues will the car have without one?

It's usually stuck in the neck of a K&N filter. If you're still running the stock airbox it's around there somewhere.

The only issue it will cause is the check engine light. The actual signal from the sensor is not even used
by the ECM. As I recall back in the day of "Turbo Link" a signal from a 3 bar map sensor was fed into
the IAT line to the ECM. It was used to display boost on later versions of T-link. As I recall it is a gray
2 wire connector.

^that's a little overly simplistic.

The IAT is ignored if the chip burner allocates that section for something else (like the turbo link harness from days gone by). If it's throwing a code it's most likely being utilized in the chip programming. Much like if you toss the EGR box on a chip that retains that function.

I don't believe the "chip program" determines what engine sensors are used. The sensors are inputs to the ECM not the chip. T link did not require a special chip to work with the boost harness. Running an Armstrong 93 without an IAT should not present any performance issues. To get rid of the check engine light an IAT needs to be plugged in.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I don't believe the "chip program" determines what engine sensors are used. The sensors are inputs to the ECM not the chip. T link did not require a special chip to work with the boost harness. Running an Armstrong 93 without an IAT should not present any performance issues. To get rid of the check engine light an IAT needs to be plugged in.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

False, but I've never seen a chip with no iat (I don't doubt there was one but I've never been around one).

OP the iat is absolutely needed for things like cold start and putting around town, it's a 2 wire plug in the same bundle of wires that go to the maf and that area of the harness, no need to pull the harness apart.

You didn't supply too many details of your overall car and potential modifications but some people - like me - relocated their IAT sensor to the "doghouse" so confirm that your car didn't have that change made.

maybe this is the issue with my car, idles bad, especially after it warms up, but under any throttle runs fine.

I know it has a K&N filter and nothing between it and the maf