Where does this heat shield go?

Dan Buick Man

Buick lover
Recently finished rebuilding my engine. I have an extra heat shield. I had two to start with, one with two mounting holes and the other with one. Where does the one with one mounting hole go? I tried to place it when the engine was on the stand but could not figure it out. I had taken pictures of the engine before I disassembled it but of course my wife deleted them. Thanks for the help.

Dan Buick Man, did you ever get your answer? If its a relatively small I think it is the one that goes behind the turbo near the breather. There are two bolts for a bracket but only one is used for the shield. If you still need I can look in the garage tomorrow.

paul

Yes, that sounds right to me as well, however, I haven't run that shield in over 10 years. It's really not necessary.

The shield is about 2" X 2". One end has a tab that is bent at about a 90 degree angle and then the mounting tab is bent perpendicular to this. If this makes any sense? :confused: It's pretty oddly shaped so I might have to take a picture and attach it. I was hoping someone had recently done some major engine work and knew where this thing went. Don't want anyone to get greasy over this. Thanks for your reply Paul.

Yeah, that's the one. It goes behind the turbo, in front of the passenger-side valve cover.
As mentioned, it is really of no use if you're not trying to achieve the exact stock look. I just looked on gnttype.org, but the picture of this section is not clear enough to see, per the angle.

Anyway, don't lose any sleep over it. You could always do as I've done with each of mine --- start a spare stock parts box... I have three of those shields boxed away somewhere. ;)

Thanks for the help guys, I will check that out tomorrow. Not too concerned about it but I am trying to keep it as stock as possible. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Dan Buick Man
The shield is about 2" X 2". One end has a tab that is bent at about a 90 degree angle and then the mounting tab is bent perpendicular to this. .......

Actually, this sounds like the plate, not really a shield, that bolts to the back of the head and holds the tranny lines to the motor?

Could be this one:

http://www.turbojimmy.com/shields.jpg

They go behind the RH header at the back of the engine. My engine was so dirty that it looked like one shield but it's actually 2. I've numbered them.

If it's not #1 in the pic then it's probably most definitely the heat shield everyone else described.

Jim

Thats it. #1 is the one. I looked all over the place for a picture of that, thanks a lot. The spare parts box is sounding like a good idea right now. I'll have to get under the car to see if installing it would be worthwhile. Thanks for all the assistance.:cool:

Aha! I forgot about that one. (#1). The #2 is the starter shield, however, neither one is what I was referring to. I suppose I haven't dealt with a complete stock setup in so long, there's stuff I've forgotten about...
Kinda' like that heavy duty engine hoist loop that's on the intake/head from the factory, but you never see them on a modified car anymore.

Oh well, kudos to TurboJimmy for solving the mystery!

Dang, another missing shield! I lost count of all the shields, brackets and clips I've acquired from this board to replace missing stockers. Someone in this car's past has a Huge spare parts box... JToups386; got a pass. side rear turbo heat shield you can spare?

- Jimmy

Originally posted by Topjimmy
...... Someone in this car's past has a Huge spare parts box... JToups386; got a pass. side rear turbo heat shield you can spare? - Jimmy

Probably not as large as my "pile" of spare parts!:)

Let me know direct which bracket you need as I probably have some.