When did you first spot one?

1987... Cruising I-75 just south of Southfield MI (home of ASC)... it had a Michigan manufactuer's plate on it.
I've seen #001 at several Buick events, then raced against a member's (high # 400's I think) at Milan Dragway in 2000. Low 12's vs. my stock GN 14.09.

Still legendary, congrats to anyone who still has one.

The first time I saw a GNX was in early spring of 1988. It was parked outside a local Olds dealer who was having an Olds spring dust off car show. I had taken a few of my Olds and thought is was sharpest car there. I took several photo's of it back them but could not find the owner. Then, I had a chance to buy one in 1991 (031) and found out it was the same car. I then was able to find the pictures and really treasure them. :)

I have handwritten notes of the local cars I saw new on the showroom floor. I would ride up in my '86 GN and stare and drool at them. IIRC, most had BIG dealer markups ($20k over) or were already sold.

8/17/87 Coleman Buick, Trenton, NJ #---
8/21/87 Lester Glenn Buick, Toms River, NJ #067
8/22/87 Tarzy Buick, East Brunswick, NJ #078
8/24/87 Buick 22, Scotch Plains, NJ #---
8/25/87 Flemington Buick, Flemington, NJ #065

The first one I saw on the road was Paul LaCroix's #065 from Piscataway, NJ. I believe he still has it from new as I still see him at local car shows.

The 1st GNX I saw wasn't numbered, because it was a prototype at the GS Nationals in '86. Mike Doble and another engineer gave a great slide show presentation in the auditorium at Western Kentucky University regarding the whole GNX project and they had one of the prototypes there on display. They had been touring the prototype car around the county. The shifter cable was broken on the car and the were putting the car in gear and reverse by grasping the column and turning. They had scribed a mark on the column and "P", "R", "N", "D" on the dash, so they wouldn't have to search for their gear selection. I have my old VHS recording of the Nats that year, its hilarious seeing the old hair styles and the short shorts all the guys were wearing. I videoed the presentation at Western and have some good footage of the prototype, pretty neat stuff!!

The 1st 1 i ever saw was when i was in college and a girl in my class had 1 and drove it to school 1 day and let me drive it. I had just bought my T-type and had heard of the GNX but never thought i would drive one. The car felt really tight to me, alot tighter than my T. The funny thing was that the girl also had an 86 T-type as well, and told me that her and her dad raced the T-type against the GNX and the T-type outran the GNX. I was a little surprised and excited at the same time. That GNX was #383 if i remember correctly.(that was nearly 25 years ago) but i will never forget it.

First site

Spring of 88,A wealthy "retirement home" owner in Jackson had one(may still)
have not seen it in years.I worked next door to the local Buick dealership at the time.Skidman.

Hot Rod PowerTour 06, atleast I think it was a real one. Sadly didn't know enough back then to know one way or the other.

In 97 or 98 I went to my first Buick event, which was "Buicks at Bristol". I want to say there was at least two or three of them there! Didn't get the dash numbers of them though. Set the hook for me! :D

I first saw one in 1995 at a good friends shop he had in storage for long time and talked about it and one day he decided to sell it so it could go to better home..so i got to see it still under wrap with 50ish miles.....i think it was number #547.....for real....lol...cool huh I been bit by the boost bug since...got two t's in the garage.....over 100 grand later......weeehoooo :cool:

WOW! You caved faster than a drunk girl on prom night! You made the comment, hold your ground man! Some people like being arrogant. Besides, with all the fantastic info XRAY put up on the GNX he can be arrogant all he wants. He lived it!

D

Are you the Original owner? If so....I...uh....I apologize...maybe I was just...jealous. :redface:

Around 1990 or 1991 i went for a ride in one with three friends. There had to be almost 800 pounds in the car and i'll never forget when it hit second we were sideways for a long while. I got to go for a few rides in it. This one decided to hug a tree and was sadly totaled a few years later.

There are at least 3 GNX's within 5 to 10 miles of me. One under 1000 miles one has around 30 to 40k and there is one wrapped in plastic it the back of a local non GM dealer which i have no info on.

I'm surrounded.

WOW! You caved faster than a drunk girl on prom night! You made the comment, hold your ground man! Some people like being arrogant. Besides, with all the fantastic info XRAY put up on the GNX he can be arrogant all he wants. He lived it!

D

Being fairly new to the board I didn't want to offend someone who's Brain I may want/need to "pick" later. (And I was apologizing for the A$$hole comment, the accusation of arrogance still stands! :D )

I don't recall the number off hand. I was roughly 13 years old at the time. But the first one I ever saw was in the showroom of the local Buick dealership in Monroe, LA. It shared the floor with a REALLY nice GSX clone. I tried to get my parents to buy it. Coulda got the car for $150 over invoice. But alas, it didn't happen. :(

The first one I spotted was on the showroom of Baron Buick on 86 the street in Brooklyn, NY.
They had it in the front window at night with all the lights on.
I was a passenger driving by at night over the weekend and I couldn't wait to get back during the week to see it up close.
It was sold by the time I got back a couple days later.
I always wondered what happened to it.
It was # 343 :)

BTW #408 sports the original paint and is not Rick's X-Ray.

Getting back on topic, the first time I spotted a GNX was in 1988 while driving north of Atlanta. My head almost popped off from trying to turn backwards as the GNX passed by in the opposite lane.

Well the first one I got up close and personal with was last year. I got to work on it.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0011.jpg
    DSCN0011.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 684
  • DSCN0012.jpg
    DSCN0012.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 666
  • DSCN0008.jpg
    DSCN0008.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 648
The first one I saw was in late 88 early 89 at a local collector car lot.The guy that owned the place wasn't there at the time but his detail guy was there.He showed it to my friend and I and told us how great it was because it was so rare and had no miles on it.As we walked around the car he talked and ate on a potted meat and mayonnaise sandwich.As we got to the rear of the car he dropped a big blob of potted meat and mayonnaise on the trunk lid and proceeded to lick and suck it up.He then said "can't be waisting no potted meat".We still laugh about that.