Wheel Balancing Original GX Wheels

theMonch

2QIK4U
Were original GNX wheels balanced with weights on the inside and outside of the rims, or were they only affixed to the inside rim (static balanced)? All of the pictures I can find show no wheel weights.

Mine are on the outside and it annoys the hell out of me, One of these days I will fix it. Screw the Originality!!

Every indication is that they were initially static balanced with no weights visible on the outside rims.

Thanks, I had mine static balanced and I get a vibration at 65 mph. Not too bad but the Weld pro-stars that it had on it before had no vibrations, so I noticed immediately. The vib goes away after 70 and below 50. I had them static balanced on an electric machine for 65, so it seems ironic that that is the only place they vib at. I think I might try some of these.

Tire Balancing Products

My friend has been using them on his pro motorcycles race team for the last few years. They are great for that application because the bikes tear through tires so fast that by the time the rider is through 2-3 laps the tires have lost so much rubber that they are out of balance.

I'll post my results.

How do they balance for 65mph?

my machine (snap on) has no speed or range , just balanced or not.

Purchased GNX 120 5 years ago with 3200k miles, with the original tires and it had weights on the out side. No static balance??

my machine (snap on) has no speed or range , just balanced or not.

The machine is calibrated usually from the factory at a certain speed. I used to be a tire monkey at Sears back in the day and when the tech would come in he would speed calibrate the machine during PM. I think he said that it spins the wheel assembly at half of the calibrated speed and the computer handles the rest. (i.e. 32.5 mph for a 65mph calibation) From what I am told, because of the centrifugal force of the tire spinning on a car it is impossible to balance the wheel assembly for all speeds. There is almost always a point where it goes out of balance.

I have had many a motorcycle tire balanced on electronic machines and I have never had better results than just hand balancing on a manual bench machine. But since the tire rim combo is so thin in comparison to a car wheel, the weight location side to side makes little difference.

After thinking about it for a bit I think the best compromise would be to balance the wheels using stick-on weights and place them on the inside barrel of the rim as close to the backside of the rim center as possible. This will balance the rim pretty efficiently while not placing any weight on the outer lip. I'm going to put this on my list of todo's for the winter and I'll post back results. In the mean time I think I am going to go the ceramic tire bead route.