Wheel Alignment question

nickygn23

Maybe a dumb question but here goes. I went to a local mechanic [Meineke] for a wheel alignment.I had suspension work done hence the need for the alignment. He said he didn't have specs for a 1987 Grand National. He then said maybe he could find some specs for a Regal. He didn't fill me full of confidence. I know our cars are based on a Regal but I don't know if there is any differences. I mean wider rims,wider tires,heavy duty suspension as such. When it comes to alignments I'm a dope. Please advise.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20170924_103221.jpg
    20170924_103221.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Subscribed. I'm about to do the same and I dread bringing it to an alignment place. It didn't occur to me they wouldn't know the specs. I bet if we search, it's on this forum somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I had mine done at my local tire discounters when I bought my tires 2 years ago. No issues.

Had it done and it only took 2 hours... :mad: [busy place]. He finished and said its done. Got in and the steering wheel was off by a lot. Needless to say back on the lift it went. Its done... again ......If I could do it in my driveway I would. I mean I could...... Tape measure and some rope... [old School]

The alignment specs you want for a street driven car that's not autocrossed or road raced:

Camber: -0.5 to -1 degree
Caster: as much as you can get
Toe: 1/16" toe in

If you're racing it in parking lots:

Camber: All of it, negative
Caster: install longer UCA mount bolts in the rearward location and get as much as possible, aiming for at least 4 degrees positive, but I'm running six and it's still not enough.
Toe: 0 if running rubber bushings, 1/16" toe out if running poly or delrin.

These are NOT what will be in the computer of a standard alignment rack. But this is what you want.