What's wrong with my Alky?

BARRACUDA1968

Finally got the motor back in and went for a ride this morning. I noticed my Alky light isn't on. When I hit the test button the red light comes on but the pump won't go.

Any ideas where to start? Worked fine last fall and I winterized the system too.

I would start with a volt meter at the pump and see if it is getting voltage when someone hits the test button. If yes, then you will want to send the pump to Julio for a rebuild. Sounds like the controller is getting voltage or the red light would not come on.

Sounds good. Last year I had to jump start the pump at the map sensor with a paperclip. Worked fine after that. But I think I had a green led light on even when I had that problem. I have no leds lit now. The green one should be on when you turn the alky knob on right?

Also, are you sure the pump is not running? I know when my car sits forever, it takes some time for the air to purge before I get pressure.

The light only turns green when you get adequate pressure in the system. It is a dual color LED. It turns red to signify that voltage is being sent to the pump. There is a pressure switch on the pump that will turn the LED green when activated.

Well I guess I can't say for sure the pump isn't running, I'll jump it at the map sensor when I get back to the shop. I may need to give the system more time to purge the air out.

Try hitting the test button for a moment with the motor off and see if you can hear the pump. If so, go for a drive and hold the test button while you are cruising down the street. If the car starts to run rough, let off for a few moments and hold it again. Repeat until the light turns green. You may experience a period where the light flickers for a bit. I know that after my car sat for a couple months, it took me a good amount of time to clear it.

Well I guess I can't say for sure the pump isn't running, I'll jump it at the map sensor when I get back to the shop. I may need to give the system more time to purge the air out.
not to sound like a broken record with you but putting fp gauge for your alky system would stop all the guessing

My gain knob is on 3, red light comes on at about 10 psi boost and never goes green. I can smell the alchy. I dynoed the car at 24 boost psi, no knock on Casper's gauge. Would turning up the gain increase the pump pressure and cause the light to go green? Wouldn't more alchy just dilute the oil? The pump is only a year or two old. When I first installed the pump I saw the green light so I know the led works. However I don't remember what I did to get the green light to come on. I think it was just while testing the pump.

not to sound like a broken record with you but putting fp gauge for your alky system would stop all the guessing

I don't remember having a conversation about putting a pressure gauge on my alky? Not that it's a bad idea but how many gauges do I need to watch to drive this car? Isn't that what the LED's are for?

My gain knob is on 3, red light comes on at about 10 psi boost and never goes green. I can smell the alchy. I dynoed the car at 24 boost psi, no knock on Casper's gauge. Would turning up the gain increase the pump pressure and cause the light to go green? Wouldn't more alchy just dilute the oil? The pump is only a year or two old. When I first installed the pump I saw the green light so I know the led works. However I don't remember what I did to get the green light to come on. I think it was just while testing the pump.
I don't remember having a conversation about putting a pressure gauge on my alky? Not that it's a bad idea but how many gauges do I need to watch to drive this car? Isn't that what the LED's are for?
You both should get Julio's tester. Simple to test the pump and also check for leaks. It's the best way to find out how your system is working. A full time gauge is nice, you can even use the powerlogger to log the pressure if want. Unless you wired a safety into the system to kill the engine if the alky pressure falls below X at X TPS you would still hurt the engine before you can get out of it trying to look at another gauge. Personally I've got enough to look at with the scanmaster, boost guage and the road.

I have an extra pump on the shelf and swap them out every 2 years. If that ain't good enough then so be it. I bought the kit to log fuel pressure last year that I need to get on the car but after that I'm done. I also bought the SMG I need to get on the car too.

You both should get Julio's tester.
I got his tester & it works great . You can see if the pump is starting to degrade in pressure . I don't see it listed on his site , you might have to call him to get one . I'd let you borrow mine cause I don't use it after the E85 conversion , but it's with a friend . Maybe they can ship it to you to try . Sam

I have an extra pump on the shelf and swap them out every 2 years. If that ain't good enough then so be it. I bought the kit to log fuel pressure last year that I need to get on the car but after that I'm done. I also bought the SMG I need to get on the car too.
You'ld be suprised how many leaks we found on my friends and my systems with this tester. We thought everything was working fine. Wrong.

I got his tester & it works great . You can see if the pump is starting to degrade in pressure . I don't see it listed on his site , you might have to call him to get one . I'd let you borrow mine cause I don't use it after the E85 conversion , but it's with a friend . Maybe they can ship it to you to try . Sam
Take him up on this offer!

You'ld be suprised how many leaks we found on my friends and my systems with this tester. We thought everything was working fine. Wrong.

You make a good point there. I've chased transitional knock issues before only to find out that it is due to air in the system thanks to small leaks. That and the "why am I using so much Methanol?" LOL. When I make some more fun money I think I'm going to go E85 and a SD2 chip....and a front mount....and a bigger turbo....and....and...DAMNIT IT NEVER ENDS WITH THIS CAR AAAARRGGGGG!!!!!!!

I have an extra pump on the shelf and swap them out every 2 years. If that ain't good enough then so be it.
this kind of thinking will have you chasing the afr/knock trail and lead to engine damage.having a fuel pressure gauge for rail and alky is a way to see how your fuel system is doing before it enters the chamber instead of trying to read what is happening after the combustion takes place.you can see fuel pressure and the curve.

I found a huge leak last year at the nozzle in the up pipe when I jump started the alky pump from the map sensor. I will be repeating this step again this year. It just sends 12 volts to the pump all at once. This is an easy way to look for leaks under full pressure.

The only problem with that is , can you tell the difference between 80psi and 150psi by the sound of the pump ? You need a gage on the output to see if the pump is degrading.

The only problem with that is , can you tell the difference between 80psi and 150psi by the sound of the pump ? You need a gage on the output to see if the pump is degrading.
Does anyone know how long these pumps will last with normal use?? Pump starting to degrade you need a gauge??
Damn Brett can't get over you screwing around with leaks for years now this. Sure do wish you much LUCK