Whats the point of a decent downpipe?

VadersV6

They look pretty and all, but from all the posts I read, it seems that over a stock DP, a good aftermarket one doesnt really net much of anything but one or two tenths and a couple mph at most. Theres the rare freak result Ive read about where someone gains like 3/4 of a second but thats gotta be a tuning issue that got cleared up. I just dont see the justification for the dollars spent.
Over a stock catback, what kind of gains have people seen going with an aftermarket catback? Say going from a catted, stock system, to a cat-less system with a straight through muffler. The stock system seems pretty restrictive but then I read about people gaining 2-3 tenths with a complete system. Hardly seems worth the trouble.

IMHO, the pipe itself is nominal gain. However, when you start going to bigger turbos and need more exhaust flow, that's where it pays off.

I removed the stock DP/elbow and original 175,000 mile cat to a 3 inch THDP and open dump and went from 13.7 to 13.1

I bet the cat was the biggest restriction...

By what you have in your sig, it looks like you made quite an effort to open up air flow into the motor. Why then do you hesitate to open up the flow out of your motor. With a doubt an aftermarket 3" THDP will get you 2 tenths, and a free flowing exh. another 2-3 tenths. Your stock exh/DP is the bottle neck in your 231CI air pump. HTH, Brian

IMHO, the pipe itself is nominal gain. However, when you start going to bigger turbos and need more exhaust flow, that's where it pays off.

^ what he said. a bigger downpipe/high flo cat/cat back system might not gain much on a stock setup, but it gives you room to "grow" later on without causing a restriction. the first place to look for more performance on ANY stock car is the exhaust.

Thinking about a DP or IC?

Do you have these items already in place?

Unshrouded compressor housing --> HP cat converter --> dual UltraFlows?

Progressive methanol injection and a boost controller?

Attention or concern to any logical progression of mods would
indicate the above being completed before considering a DP or IC.

HTH

My car picked up MPH when I did my downpipe, but what I noticed most was spool up was greatly improved.

Car ran good with the stock downpipe with a hole cut in it. Low 13.00 consistant pretty much stock. Yes, I cut a hole in a stock TTA DP, I was 20 yrs old so what can I say?? It picked up big time! Actuator and a fuel pump, 12.90's 108mph.
But then I put a THDP on the car with the stock turbo still on about 12 years later. As soon as I went for a "test" run the trans went away. I'm thinking it picked up some wit the big DP.

Thinking about a DP or IC?

Do you have these items already in place?

Unshrouded compressor housing --> HP cat converter --> dual UltraFlows?

Progressive methanol injection and a boost controller?

Attention or concern to any logical progression of mods would
indicate the above being completed before considering a DP or IC.

HTH

Unshrouded compressor housing? I had a TE-44 which disintegrated so now I have a T3-T4 for the time being. I have SMC alky. No need for progressive since it does just fine. I have a boost controller. The IC is just a dutt neck. The car already had the turbo and pocket ported heads when I bought it. It was a disaster in terms of modding. Full stock exhaust from the 80's, all rusted to hell with some tiny no name cat welded on. Whoever it was, sawed the 4 bolt flange off and welded the DP to the cat, and welded the cat to the catback. So I couldnt just go buy a cat or test pipe or anything since everything was welded together. I could buy a 4 bolt flange, but getting the positioning of the flange would be difficult. It would have to be in the proper location if I were to try and install a catback. It would be better to just get a new DP to get the flange back. Top that off with a 7.5" rear end with 4.56's and a 4200 stall non lock TC, stock cam, stock intake, leaking stock injectors with cracked o-rings and massive vacuum leaks everywhere (the car barely ran), cheap autozone plug wires that ohm'd all over the place, bad ignition module, bad cam sensor, bad sensors all around, cracked spark plugs, stock intake tubing with holes in it, cracked headers and a million other problems....you can tell the guy was a dimwit. Ive done alot to try and get things better matched. I spent alot and did ALOT just to try and get the car to a decent base condition to start modding. But then the paint started cracking open everywhere (Im driving around with no paint on the passenger side since I stripped it), the steering shaft is GONE, no horn, no high beams, stock steering wheel and hub are gone..some autozone steering wheel sits in its place...discovered the whole suspension consists of original shocks all blown out and the whole suspension is rotted to the point its metal on metal in some places...I could go on and on. Everytime I get one step ahead, 5 other things go bad....I sort of bought the car without driving it and really looking closely, but I had just sold my cobra the day before and had no car and my wife was being a PITA, saying she wasnt going to drive me to work...I was going to do the exhaust next but ran out of money, and from all the posts I had seen, the exhaust mods didnt really seem to do a whole lot. A catback may do more. I havent seen too many ET gains posted pre/post catback. With the TE-44, I could give it half throttle in 2nd gear and I'd be all over the road. It already had more power than I could get to the ground, so something to increase spooling speed didnt really appeal too much, since it already spooled like crazy. I can get a custom mandrel bent 3" single system made with a 3" carsound cat and magnaflow muffler for $500, but Im wondering if the DP will be worth my time and money. At the prices they run, I have a hard time justifying almost 500 bucks for 2 tenths.

when my car was stock it spooled slow and was lazy out of the hole with no boost launch. than i put gbody 3 inch on and it woke that mother up it would spool crazy fast and roast the tires 2 feet after an idle launch