WHAT's The point? Drifting I dont get it!

There is also a finish line in drifting competitions!

The winner is decided when one crosses the finish line and the racers are judged by how they keep the tires smoking and the actual drift without driving in a straight line. If you watch more carefully they will drift around one corner and then switch the drift around to go around the next corner the whole time TRYING to keep there car at a FULL DRIFT at all times.

Actually A LOT harder than going in a straight line like in drag racing and it's A LOT harder than it looks.. The cars have a TON of Power and the tires are specialy made just for drifting just like a slick is for drag racing.

Hope this helps some understand more about drifting..

SW.
I understand the finish line part.

I thinks youze guys are a bit mistaken! NASCAR is GAY! Going left all day...snooooze... See how fast you can go with the hides boiling! Then put some physics to work against you(or For you!) and start slidin that baby thru the turns as far out there as you can get without losing it! Ground speed, angle of drift, how close you can get to the walls without smackin em, there's a TON of skill involved! Moreso than on a roadcourse even. Similar concept but without all that confidence inspiring grip. Then try to catch the available "moment" and PASS somebody in a drift! It'll probably never be too popluar in the land of cheeseburger's cuz it's just too damn difficult for the average doorknob to do well. Unlike finding traction in a straight line sprayed with VHT.;)

The winner is decided when one crosses the finish line and the racers are judged by how they keep the tires smoking and the actual drift without driving in a straight line. If you watch more carefully they will drift around one corner and then switch the drift around to go around the next corner the whole time TRYING to keep there car at a FULL DRIFT at all times.

Actually A LOT harder than going in a straight line like in drag racing and it's A LOT harder than it looks.. The cars have a TON of Power and the tires are specialy made just for drifting just like a slick is for drag racing.

SW.

Exactly! There is a big differance between a Controlled slide, and some retard who slides it into a tree. To be able to link every corner together without spinning out takes alot of driving skills. Personally I like cars with power and I like seeing smoke pouring out of wheel wells, I dont care if its a Vette, GN, Supra, or a Corolla.

No interest in it at all. Stupid stuffed animals. I think I'll ram the douche in front of me if they were "drifting" near me just to watch them spin out and crash. Next the stupid rice boys on the street try to drift with a fwd and opps, it don't work.:D

Drifting is to car racing as synchronized swimming is to the Olympics.
Very few care about it, most just ignore it.

I just want to know why drift cars all have a stuffed animal or 2 hanging from the back bumper.

When I go to Nicoclub.org they have that stuff all over the place. Probably one of the dumbest things you can do to your car. For some reason they really like cartoons, big shift knobs, and rediculous amounts of camber in the suspension.

SW.

I thinks youze guys are a bit mistaken! NASCAR is GAY! Going left all day...snooooze... See how fast you can go with the hides boiling! Then put some physics to work against you(or For you!) and start slidin that baby thru the turns as far out there as you can get without losing it! Ground speed, angle of drift, how close you can get to the walls without smackin em, there's a TON of skill involved! Moreso than on a roadcourse even. Similar concept but without all that confidence inspiring grip. Then try to catch the available "moment" and PASS somebody in a drift! It'll probably never be too popluar in the land of cheeseburger's cuz it's just too damn difficult for the average doorknob to do well. Unlike finding traction in a straight line sprayed with VHT.;)

+1 to both.

And here's a little drifting redneck style...
YouTube - General Lee Drift
:D

SW.

All true, but it's still the dumbest f'ing thing I've ever seen. :eek:

Crap we invented drifting up here in New england during the winter years ago.

We took old bombers into empty parking lots full of ice & snow.. it was a lot easier on the parts & tires.
We did donughts, drifting, crashing into snow banks.

One day we trashed a 64 442 Convert. This kid we knew kept hauling down the street & spinning the rear into a snow bank trying to get it stuck. That car would not get stuck! 425 ci & posi. with huge snow tires.:eek:

Don't forget the time honored New England tradition of bumper skiing!

Don't forget the time honored New England tradition of bumper skiing!

I was going over to visit my girlfriend (wife now) in Somerville, Ma with my little '73 Datsun B110 and bunch of punks thought they would hop my bumper. I had just got new snowtires so I had decent traction. Well, 3 hopped on as started threw the intersection. I hit it, shifted to second and cut the wheel. The tail wagged out and I lost 2 into a snowbank. I cut the wheel the other way, spinning snow in the kid's face and shaking him off into a parked car. I straighteded her out and kept going on my way laughing my ass off. Made my day.

I'll probably get lynched here but I like watching drifting once in awhile.:eek: There really is no point other than for show and everyone knows its not the fastest way around a corner. When I was stationed in Japan back in 99-01...before drifting was even popular in the US or any of that "Tokyo drift" crap, we used to watch the illegal drift "races" in the industrial areas of town. Seen quite a few nasty crashes, mainly into light poles and sidewalks and such.

That said...I'd never invest the time or money to build a "drift" car, nor would I attempt to do it. I don't like it that much lol.

i wonder what the drifting crowd thinks when they see a dirt track sprint car race, World of Outlaws style? they got huge wings and spend most of their time slideways, too..
we used to go drifting on the lakes after they froze over, but before there were a ton of fishing houses out.
also, dirt roads are good for drifting, too.. but sometimes the dirt road drifting sessions would turn into demo derbies.

The Redneck stuff is what I'M talkin bout!!!:cool:;):D As far as Charger's or any B-Body goes, they're a real PITA to drift, and suck on dirt too. Unlike on NFS.:rolleyes: I tried racin em on dirt briefly but found Cordoba's and Magnum's, and especially Aspen's cheaper and easier to handle. I never had much luck in Regal's. Now any rear drive American iron will set you back for some cash and it kinda takes the fun out for me, knowing what repairs would run...:(
There were a number of times I outran Johnny Law on dirt roads, creek beds and fields in the day. I'm not into tuner's at all but my younger years gave me a respect for what they're doin!;) I used to scour the swaps for cheap bias ply meats for the rear. They would eliminate a good bit of the suspension prep needed otherwise. When you can only afford around 400HP it's an economical way to hang the tail without gobs of that expensive horsepower or ridiculous chassis tuning!;):D