Whats the diff between an adjustable wastegate and a manual boost controller?

1987BuickGrandN

Whats the difference between an adjustable wastegate and a manual boost controller, or an electronic boost controller for that matter?

I am not sure if I qualify to answer this, but I had an Electronic Boost controller in my twin 300ZX. That is a unit, like the scanmaster, that mounts in your cockpit and you are able to adjust your boost levels. You could set peak boost, set the turbo for 18 psi for 10 seconds then drop to 16 psi, Basically it was programmable for many options. The adjustable waste gate is mounted under your hood and requires and getting out of the car to tune. The ADG just allows you turn up more boost.

adjustable wastegate and manual boost controller do the same job, just you don't burn your hands with one, and some of the boost controllers help your turbo spool up faster.

I knew they did the same thing when i made the post. I suppose i was interested to know how each worked, and the benifit of one over the other. Thanks,

Bryan

ah, ok... well I can try and help you out somewhat.. I think

A adjustable wastegate you lengthen or shorten the wastegate arm, so when the wastegate opens, it either allows the wastegate to open more or less which creats more or less boost, lengthening it will give you less boost shortening will give you more. Advantages? well, you can you the factory boost controller (which is done by the chip). Disadvantages? you will fry your hands by trying to adjust the wastegate after a run or when your tuning it.

This is the kind of boost controller I have:

http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html

That loops the compressor housing to the wastegate, and when the turbo makes enough boost to compress the spring it pushes the ball and spring down allowing air to move into the wastegate and open it. by putting more tension on the spring, the more boost you have, less tension, less boost.

Clear as mud?