whats the deal w/E85

carkicker

rumspringer
i've been reading up on putting alky kit on my 87 gn and there was some skuttlebut about using E85 instead of ?:confused:

short answer is the octane value of E85 is from a around 103 to 110 some say even higher. So its like running race gas all the time but cheaper then 87 at the pump. It also burn cooler so there is a little more to it. I would go to the e85 section here and take a look. I run e-85 and no alky. It does take around 30% more fuel to run e-85 so make sure you have enough injector and fuel pump to get the fuel you need.

short answer is the octane value of E85 is from a around 103 to 110 some say even higher. So its like running race gas all the time but cheaper then 87 at the pump. It also burn cooler so therpe is a little more to i I would go to the e85 section here and take a look. I run e-85 and no alky. It does take around 30% more fuel to run e-85 so make sure you have enough injector and fuel pump to get the fuel you need.

Pretty much what he said. The stock fuel lines and a double pumper are fine for mid 10s. I've gone further on e85 then I have on 110 gas, going after 116 next. Car has way more low end with the stuff too. There are a lot of myths about the damage it can do to the fuel system. Best thing to do is use google. Lots of good info on the dsm, evo, supra boards and yellowbullet.com. Also search my name on here. I got a good 5 page thread about it from being a complete novice on it to running 10s with it.

I use it in my T and will be using it in my GN whenever I can get around to putting the car back together.

Pretty much what he said. The stock fuel lines and a double pumper are fine for mid 10s. I've gone further on e85 then I have on 110 gas, going after 116 next. Car has way more low end with the stuff too. There are a lot of myths about the damage it can do to the fuel system. Best thing to do is use google. Lots of good info on the dsm, evo, supra boards and yellowbullet.com. Also search my name on here. I got a good 5 page thread about it from being a complete novice on it to running 10s with it.

+1 on Myths

I've been running E85 in my White car for almost 4 years, stock lines, Kirban pump, 83s and stock turbo and IC. No issues with corrosion but there is an issue with some rubber lines. So if you take your tank down for fuel pump upgrade those hose with silicon and you'll be golden.

Kevin is right about the torque, more of it and it comes on sooner. :biggrin:

I've heard that E85 is not very consistent and that the octane can vary by quite a bit. Is that true?

E85 is not available in Houston, but I would like to try it some day.

There's 3 stations in Sugarland that sell it John. Take a couple of 5 gallon tanks with you and stock up.:biggrin:

There have been reports that it's not a consistant mix but so far I haven't seen any proof ir it. Got a link Peter?:confused:

There's 3 stations in Sugarland that sell it John. Take a couple of 5 gallon tanks with you and stock up.:biggrin:

There have been reports that it's not a consistant mix but so far I haven't seen any proof ir it. Got a link Peter?:confused:

Charlie,
The consistancy issue (within reason)would only be a major problem for the monster cars and or those running on the edge. Not just summer blend vs. winter blend but from batch to batch.

I've heard that E85 is not very consistent and that the octane can vary by quite a bit. Is that true?

In early spring I was getting e80, now its e85 summer blend. All it takes is a $15 test tube tester from jegs and 5 minutes to see what blend you got.

In early spring I was getting e80, now its e85 summer blend. All it takes is a $15 test tube tester from jegs and 5 minutes to see what blend you got.

Kevin, is there any way to calibrate that tester????? or check for accuracy?

I have ran e-85 and I am about to do a permanent switch.

Thanks Charlie but Sugarland is too far to make it practical to use E85

Kevin, is there any way to calibrate that tester????? or check for accuracy?

I have ran e-85 and I am about to do a permanent switch.

No way of calibrating it, it is a pretty simple test. You add water to a line, then you fill the rest with the fuel. Shake it, then you will see it seperate. The seperation line tells you what the percentage is. The other method is to get a flex fuel sensor setup, which is my future plans.

If I am correct, the only way you can run a flex fuel sensor is if you have a after market ECM. You can't run the sensor on a stock ECM. If I am wrong, please correct me and give instructions on how you install!

I looked through the lengthy thread (by KevinB) in the e85 forum. Thanks for the information because this may be the way I am going to go as well.

our 87 gn is completely stock , save for the walbro and hotwire . idk if previous owner did anything , and dont really know how to tell if he did , as he is mia , and have no way to contact . is there a way to tell if computer has mods , i've never changed a chip in a cc car , and dont have any knowledge of how to , or how to tell if its been done . car has 80,000 mi. and runs prety good . can i just start running E85 without hurting it . i dont wana create any problems . we like to drive it more than have it tore apart in the garage . i'd like to get a typhoon , syclone or tta to drive everyday , before we tear the gn apart . we had a HHR SS 2.0 turbo that was reliable, but that was another lifetime

Best thing for you to do is get a turbo tweak chip made for e85.

Just got a very good batch today from the Marathon close to the house. This is the tester I use. This batch looks to be just above 85% :)
See if you can see the line of seperation

Edit: sorry the pic is sideways. I did it all from my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20110706_212556.jpg
    IMG_20110706_212556.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 310

No, it's just come up in conversation mostly talking about race applications when fuel options are discussed. C16 has been around $17/gallon around here so people are looking at more alternatives.

Not to hijack this thread, but how far can I get with a Walboro 340, #60 injectors, a TE-44, 212 / 212 cam, and Champion Irons, with E85 before I run out of pump / injector?