what's the biggest turbo before heads & cam

my 1st gn

I know this has been asked before but there are alot of new turbo's
seems like a new one comes every other month

Honestly, I would recommend one of the PT61 turbos, which there are 3 different turbine wheel options. If the car is pretty much stock, then the PT6131RE (ball bearing) would be the best choice, even works well with the stock torque converter. You will need fuel system mods to be able to support this turbo however. If the car had mods (DP, IC upgrade, plenum t-body, 3200 stall, etc) then the PT6152E (non ball bearing) would work well. The PT6176E (non ball bearing but I believe is also available with ball bearing) would work best with heads and cam and a 3200-3400 flash stall converter. Less stall required with ball bearing. There are a lot of choices out there I agree, results have shown that these 3 models have out performed all of the previous models before it.
Just my O2s worth.

Patrick

What is the max boost pressure you would consider running? If you wanted to go to 35psi then you could get away with a 70. Might get a couple passes before replacing head gaskets.

A double BB 70 P-trim from Innovative works just fine with 3200 stall.

I only run 25-27psi. however on pump and alky. :smile:

If you had a 3500 stall you probably could run a 72 double BB.

Less air noises on my car now than from the TA62 it replaced.

Someday the gaskets will go so I can put some ported heads on it. :eek: :p

I run a PT67 P trim on a stock never opened long block. I know that I can't utilize all of it's potential without cam and heads but it pulls real nice. I moved from a GT3255e to it and picked up 9 mph in the quarter with 4 pounds less boost.

I also run a GT67P ( 60-1 ) at 26 lbs (ALKY) with a 3600 stall. Although I have all the support bolt-ons, it's still a stock onopened engine. I's a killer on the street. I know there is more potential with heads etc, but I will wait till I need to open her up. I drive my car very little, so at this stage I am happy.

times

I run a PT67 P trim on a stock never opened long block. I know that I can't utilize all of it's potential without cam and heads but it pulls real nice. I moved from a GT3255e to it and picked up 9 mph in the quarter with 4 pounds less boost.

what kinda times are you runing an how is lag with your setup

thanks jay

I also run a GT67P ( 60-1 ) at 26 lbs (ALKY) with a 3600 stall. Although I have all the support bolt-ons, it's still a stock onopened engine. I's a killer on the street. I know there is more potential with heads etc, but I will wait till I need to open her up. I drive my car very little, so at this stage I am happy.

what kinda times do you run an how is lag with that turbo

thanks jay

boost

What is the max boost pressure you would consider running? If you wanted to go to 35psi then you could get away with a 70. Might get a couple passes before replacing head gaskets.

I would like to run about 25-28psi at the most

what kinda times are you runing an how is lag with your setup

thanks jay

My times are deceiving due to the track here in Albuquerque is slicker than snot! I have major traction issues even with M\T drag radials. If I leave with ANY boost I get instant wheel spin all through 1st and half way trough 2nd. If I leave with no boost I spin once I'm about 15 feet out when the boost flares up to about 15 pounds. My 60's are running a horrible 2.4 to 2.6. I have been running about 12.7 with those sixty's but have been trapping at 115 mph. All this is also done at 5300 feet of elevation. If I could get it to hook, my MPH looks to be enough to be well into the 11's. As far as spool, I have no problem building 10 pounds on the line in a couple of seconds. On the street it spools very well. If I just stand on it from a light without brake boosting it will already be spooled up by the time I am across the intersection. The biggest difference between the GT3255e and the PT67 have been the intake temp difference. I have a thermocoupler in my up pipe and when I ran the GT32 I would run 28 pound and my intake temps would rise to 190-200 degrees by the end of the quarter. With the PT67 running 25 pounds it runs at 140-150 degrees. Many will say I have too much turbo for my set up, but I have had great results.

I also like the PT67.

Put me into the 10's first time out... with a stock unopened motor.

Laggy on pump gas and 17psi but still pulls hard.

On C16 race gas and 25psi it's a beast.