What's the best 1.5 din ever made?

INEEDAGN

Seen Your Member
I guess I should ask what's the best easily attainable 1.5 din? It appears they've gone extinct, and I want to find a good used one for my GN. Ideally it would be able to control some sort of slave processor, I plan to do a full multi amp system with these custom fiberglass kick pods that came with my car and I'd like to do the tuning from the front seat. Aux input would be a must, usb would be nice but I doubt they were doing that back in the 1.5 din era. Not looking for something too exotic, although it probably sounds like I am, lol. I have a couple different pioneer 1.5 din but wanted to know what other options I had.

I love my Pioneer deh-p47dh. Its appearance blends nicely with the interior and it sounds great too. You'll have to find one used though.

IMG_2168.jpg

I love my Pioneer deh-p47dh. Its appearance blends nicely with the interior and it sounds great too. You'll have to find one used though.

View attachment 245663

Already did! Lol...
image.jpg

That's what's in the car now. Had a 46dh without cd changer control and found this one in a junkyard, so now I can have aux input. But this one doesn't support a remote which is odd because the 46 did. Anyway I know alpine made a few of these and I think Sony did too but I have no idea of features and model numbers. I do appreciate the feedback.

View attachment 245663
I'd rather have that tach than the radio. I think the face plates look fine that adapt the regular size radios to our dashes. Never saw an LED cigarette lighter before. I assume it lights up when you push it in?

I'd rather have that tach than the radio. I think the face plates look fine that adapt the regular size radios to our dashes. Never saw an LED cigarette lighter before. I assume it lights up when you push it in?
Yeah, that recall-tach is a bitchin piece for sure. The lighter is a flashlight. Push it in to charge it up. Then you pull it out and use it like a pen-light or something like that.

The retro one would be bad ass for someone who's not looking to draw attention to the fact that they have a stereo in the trunk. This comes in handy for things like the power tour, when your car spends 10 nights in hotel parking lots (I have other means of anti theft for the car itself.) But it seems to me like that radio ought to be under or at $200. For $359 I'd modify the dash for a bad ass double din (and I'll probably do that in the t type but not the gn).

Pioneer made 2 different 1.5 GM radios. The p-47 (I have one also) was the lower end one. The 2nd had a much brighter and different display along with a remote. It sold for about $75 more than the other. Alpine made 2 1.5 dins. One being passive (pre out only) and sold for close to $500 back in the 90's. The other was a 3 disc in dash changer. There may have been a flip out tv version also but I don't remember exactly. The best single din was the Alpine 7909. The first 4v pre out radio and everybody in the USAC and IASCA circuit used it including Mr Richard Clark.

image.jpg

Well I've got a 7949 (newer version) in my collection of crap but it wont play burnt CDs and I'm not sure I can even aux input the thing. This isn't a competition system so I'll sacrifice for some modern features like processor control and usb. I think I'm going to have to go double din though to do it

View attachment 247585
Well I've got a 7949 (newer version) in my collection of crap but it wont play burnt CDs and I'm not sure I can even aux input the thing. This isn't a competition system so I'll sacrifice for some modern features like processor control and usb. I think I'm going to have to go double din though to do it
Nice stash.... Willing to part with anything? I have a Pioneer double din I may be willing to trade.

The problem with selling anything is that some of it was only briefly tested and I cant guarantee used electronics that I got second hand.

I got my Pioneer radios backwards too lol. The 47 was the high end one and the 45 was the lower end one with the push button volume. Damn't now I'm looking at buying one of those Alpine 1.5 dins.

Near as I can tell, alpine made 4 model numbers of 1.5 dins:

CDA-D852
CDA-D855
And then the
CDA-D853 and
CDA-D857
Which are newer versions of the 852 and 855

If anyone knows of any others I'd love to hear about them! They made others that are single din units with a motorized 1.5 din sized faceplate that retracts. I know alpine made slave processors back then like the ERA-G320 that are Ai-net controlled and work with my 7949 but so far haven't gathered any info saying that any of the 1.5dins will control one. And I dont think any of the pioneers ever did either.

I hear you on the pioneers I have one with push buttons and one with the knob. I think theres at least 4 or 5 model numbers of 1.5 din pioneers over the years

As far as my fixation with a slave processor, back in my stereo heyday I had my mismatched budget multi amp system controlled by an audiocontrol 13 band eq with separate left and right channels, mounted in the damn trunk and I hated all the time I wasted tinkering with it back and forth, and this time I'll have something that's cockpit controlled or I won't even bother installing the shit. I'd settle for a separate controller but I'd strongly prefer it to be h/u controlled.