What's so special about GNX's?

FreeBoost

Can anyone out there tell me what's so special about a GNX? Not only do they have the same problems a Grand Nationals, they have their own unique problems caused by the GNX specific parts. The handling is roughly the same as any other GN and the increase in performance could have been obtained by a simple chip upgrade and adjustable wastegate actuator.

I've had a GN for seven years before some liberated it from me and I've had a GNX for eleven years so I'm intimate with the differences. All I’m asking is what makes these cars the holy grail of the turbo regal world, other than limited production numbers?

the handling is no where near the same as a gn
there are only 547
the ceramic turbos are indy bread
they are a full second quicker
the fastest production car for 1987
Stewart Warner gauges
$11000+ in options in 87

are you on crack??????????????

the handling is no where near the same as a gn

Like I said, I’ve had both for a number of years. Stock to stock the handling isn’t significantly different. Have you done this kind of comparison?

there are only 547

Like I said, other than limited production, which is artificial and adds nothing the quality or performance of the car.

the ceramic turbos are indy bread

Just a gimmick, didn’t add that much to the performance.

they are a full second quicker

How many GN’s out there running quick that min 13’s with not more than a chip and a tweak to the boost?

the fastest production car for 1987

And 1987 was such a banner year for performance.

Stewart Warner gauges

I’ll give you that – they are pretty cool, except that the fuel gauge fogs and the the boost gauge only goes to 15 psi.

$11000+ in options in 87

Don’t forget the 8-10k “market adjustment” for a 20K option on 18k car. Pretty excessive for what was delivered. I don’t consider being hosed a reason for making a car special.

are you on crack??????????????

And no I’m not on crack, but thanks for asking.

All of this is just media propaganda. I haven’t heard anything that makes the car really shine. But keep ‘em coming, I love to stir the $hit.

I think most special editions, be it a car, a movie, a collectible, don't really involve mind-blowing alterations. You throw on a few extra bells and whistles and produce a low number, and people will buy it.

I still think the GNX is a very cool car and the changes to the exterior give it an extra dose of attitude, but can't really deny that any ol' Grand National can easily hang with the GNX with a couple of bolt-ons.

There's nothing special about your GNX when compared to my GN really, so I'll trade you straight up. I'll even throw in a couple $$. Whats the difference right?:D

I will watch this thread for humors sake.

Voted as one of the most evil cars of all time.

There's nothing special about your GNX when compared to my GN really, so I'll trade you straight up. I'll even throw in a couple $$. Whats the difference right?:D

me too ill even give you an extra penny-crackhead

LOl!!!!!!!!!

and yes ive done a real world comparison between both suspensions by having both systems and real world driving/racing it for 13+ years

Personal Satisfaction is the difference, I want that toy!

I can build GNX clone and drive it like I stole it and when you drive a real GNX on roads, ask any owner if they can leave their GNX alone to use rest room or walk around and look at other cars if they go to car shows...

I have spoken to real GNX owners and this is the truth...

In fact I treat my 87 GN exactly like it is a GNX, it is my car since January 1988 and still in my garage Dec 31, 2008... original owner, can you say that as GNX owner... I want a car I can drive, becuz I have a GN I rarely drive simply becuz of the same reason GNX owners do not drive their car.

Have you ever seen a GNX owner with a small child looking at as his GNX as the child or older kids/adults lean forward and touches the paint or a man in AWEeee leans up against it or puts his hands on the quarter panels looking at the engine bay... all scenarios real GNX owners have to deal with...

Also, I saw a MINT low Mileage GNX with 5 miles never driven had a small dent in rear quarter panel below passenger window becuz a person leaned aganist it... and this was seen in 2008 with my own eyes, speaking to GNX owners, including during GS Nationals car show...

Ask Richard Clark, you can modify a GN or T and make it faster/quicker than GNX with minor bolt-ons... even HR Parst N Stuff suspension parts are better performance for track acceleration vs GNX suspension... plus it is cheaper...

I am an the original owner of a 1987 GN -- purchased with 153 miles and currently 38,000 miles... plus an 87 GN with bolton parts, with GNX clone parts, if you saw it, you would have to look very closely to know it is a clone, after all I do own GNregistry and GNXregistry, the REAL difference between a GNX and GNX clone is MONEY $$$, would you make a GNX a daily driver or a GNX Clone if you have original GN sitting in the garage too... now is the time to buy GNX's and GN's...

Owning a GNX is great but too much hype, stress and not being able to drive it becuz it is worth more to let it sit... I can build GNX Clone for under $20,000 and pass it off as GNX to 99% of the world except TB owners who really know the difference... but with tires, rims, dash plaque, turbo shield, vents, stickers, trans cooler, suspension, SW dash gauges, power antenna, rpo codes including T2L, concert sound... panhard bar etc, etc, etc, money can buy anything, and it is a GNX CLONE, personal satisfaction is the only difference...

Can anyone out there tell me what's so special about a GNX? Not only do they have the same problems a Grand Nationals, they have their own unique problems caused by the GNX specific parts. The handling is roughly the same as any other GN and the increase in performance could have been obtained by a simple chip upgrade and adjustable wastegate actuator.

I've had a GN for seven years before some liberated it from me and I've had a GNX for eleven years so I'm intimate with the differences. All I’m asking is what makes these cars the holy grail of the turbo regal world, other than limited production numbers?

I agree, they're not special at all. Why don't you sell me that GNX of yours and get yourself a real car. :wink:

" The Last of the Legacy"

You forgot to mention, It was the Last of the GN's..That's what makes it so unique! ;)

The strangest thing for me about your arguement is that you own one . There must have been something that made you spend the extra money .
What was that .The fact that it was a GNX .
Your arguement is applicable to any limited production car .
In responding to this thread , I can only think you were in the mood to get a reaction from people .
I can make a buick regal run faster than a GNX .Bottom line its still a buick regal .
I am also willing to trade any day you want to go back to a GN ,

GNXs were at the head of the pack the day of their inception. You have to consider when they were built. The car represents benchmarks for performance and engineering for the time period they were built. While some board members like to add modifications to their cars others enjoy them in stock form and go to every measure to make the car 100% exact to the day it was built. For those original car loving members the GNX might just be the car they lust after due to many contributing factors: Limited Production, High Horsepower, and last year of the body style.

It is almost like talking with a 1969 COPO Camaro owner or a 1969 Corvette L-88 owner...They know they have something special...After all they are just stock Camaros or Corvettes what makes them six figure cars or special?

For me I remember when I first purchased my 1984 Grand National and always looked at the GNX as a car I would love to own but never could due to cost (The were selling for $30K) at the time. I did a lot of modifications to my 1984 GN and was always buying this…tuning that…trying to go faster and it was endless. When I purchased the GNX rather than going the same route I chose to make the car as close to 100% original as possible as well as collect GNX parts, Literature, and enjoy the car how it was originally built. For me….that is what makes the car special and oddly enough the more research you do the more interesting the car becomes!

Just Opinions, Don't Take It Personally

A GNX is an overpriced '87 GN in my humble opinion. I own and drive both. The GN tracks nicely down the road. The GNX gets pulled around by road crown thanks to the fat tires. The GNX rear suspension is a neat sensation though. Anytime you are at a stop and then take off, you can feel the rear of the car lift.

Some things that bother me about the GNX is the way it was modified. I'm a perfectionist I admit, but what a hack job of a process adding the fender flares, especially on the rear quarters. Have you ever noticed the gap between the flare and the cut lip of the quarter? Jeez, it's pimp my ride kind of work. You even get double-sided tape that attempts to hold the lower parts of the flare to the body.

Ever look at the center caps? I know the project was rushed, but can't we have a real plastic medallion on the cap instead of a sticker on top of a clear firebird center? Unreal.

The GNX has a much better dash setup over the GN. That's the one thing I wish the GN had from the GNX. The SW guages are nice as far as monitoring the vitals, but you can sure tell they are from the aftermarket. At night, the speedo and tack are unevenly lit. The gas gauge needle is all over the place from the fuel sloshing in the tank, and the lense has a fogging problem at times too. I assume it's from the heat of the bulb warming up a cold guage? The boost guage is another issue. They should've read to at least 20 psi, but seeing the needle sweep from vacuum to boost is cool.

So why did I buy the GNX if I don't sound so excited about them? Mainly investment purposes. But I'm starting to rethink that. At this point, I wouldn't mind selling it to put the money into a 50's convertible. I see my GN sticking around long after the GNX. It's value is more in line with MY expectations.

Here's some final words: The GNX is definately a Rare and cool car. It's one of the Holy Grails of Buicks, but most people out side of the car hobby don't even know the GNX. The first thing out of their mouths is "is that a Grand National?". Most everybody knows the Grand National, after you explain it's not a Monte Carlo.;)

If you've got the coin and want to own a rare car, the GNX is for you. If I had to choose between a GN and GNX, it's the GN hands down.

You swine! This post is heresy & may your tongue be ripped out for this blasphemy.

Gnx

I can build GNX clone and drive it like I stole it and when you drive a real GNX on roads, ask any owner if they can leave their GNX alone to use rest room or walk around and look at other cars if they go to car shows...

I have spoken to real GNX owners and this is the truth...

In fact I treat my 87 GN exactly like it is a GNX, it is my car since January 1988 and still in my garage Dec 31, 2008... original owner, can you say that as GNX owner... I want a car I can drive, becuz I have a GN I rarely drive simply becuz of the same reason GNX owners do not drive their car.

Have you ever seen a GNX owner with a small child looking at as his GNX as the child or older kids/adults lean forward and touches the paint or a man in AWEeee leans up against it or puts his hands on the quarter panels looking at the engine bay... all scenarios real GNX owners have to deal with...

Also, I saw a MINT low Mileage GNX with 5 miles never driven had a small dent in rear quarter panel below passenger window becuz a person leaned aganist it... and this was seen in 2008 with my own eyes, speaking to GNX owners, including during GS Nationals car show...

Ask Richard Clark, you can modify a GN or T and make it faster/quicker than GNX with minor bolt-ons... even HR Parst N Stuff suspension parts are better performance for track acceleration vs GNX suspension... plus it is cheaper...

I am an the original owner of a 1987 GN -- purchased with 153 miles and currently 38,000 miles... plus an 87 GN with bolton parts, with GNX clone parts, if you saw it, you would have to look very closely to know it is a clone, after all I do own GNregistry and GNXregistry, the REAL difference between a GNX and GNX clone is MONEY $$$, would you make a GNX a daily driver or a GNX Clone if you have original GN sitting in the garage too... now is the time to buy GNX's and GN's...

Owning a GNX is great but too much hype, stress and not being able to drive it becuz it is worth more to let it sit... I can build GNX Clone for under $20,000 and pass it off as GNX to 99% of the world except TB owners who really know the difference... but with tires, rims, dash plaque, turbo shield, vents, stickers, trans cooler, suspension, SW dash gauges, power antenna, rpo codes including T2L, concert sound... panhard bar etc, etc, etc, money can buy anything, and it is a GNX CLONE, personal satisfaction is the only difference...

Too much stress to own a GNX? Not able to drive or take to a car show?
I drive my GNX, not as much as I would like to but that is only because of time and the fact I use a 30,000 mile GN for most of my daily type driving. I bring the GNX to shows, let anyone sit inside or check out under the hood or check out the trunk. Its a car, its meant to drive. The more we drive them and take them to shows the more people will be edjucated on them. At the last show I left it alone for hours at a time so I could enjoy the show and walk around. I did lock the doors though, but I left the hood and trunk open. I let people sit inside and take as many pic's as they wanted. The car always had people around it. While driving the car you get alot of thumbs up and people snapping their necks to catch a glimse.

GNX Highlights

I'd have to agree, the best single feature of a GNX is its instrumentation. Even it has its problems, but conceptually is far more fitting than the stock cluster other TRs were stuck with. I mean really, an 85 MPH Speedo? What a joke.

ASC tried to make the cluster look both clean and sporty by having the custom surround bezel and applique to cover the bezels of the gauges, giving them the recessed look from older muscle/sports cars. Definitely a nice touch. Other than the suspension, changes are mostly for cosmetic purposes over a standard GN or WE4. The suspension is something I can't comment on too much, never having rode in a GNX to experience it. It certainly sounds interesting & like a nice idea. Anything to help the chassis handle better is worthwhile.

Personally, I'm a purist about most things. Keeping them stock/as original as possible is important. Or if modifying, doing so tastefully. If I'm going to change something, it'll look like it belongs there. Overall I think ASC/McLaren did nice work. Is the car hyped? Sure it is. That's marketing and legend. Is it still special? You betcha.

"In the eye of the beholder" applies somewhat here. Could the GNX have been better? Sure. It was one of the last things Buick did right. And it's the pinnacle, stock-for-stock, of how our TRs were offered. It's really up to the individual, as another poster said. What they expect out of it, what they're willing to pay, etc. Even my friend Kenny Duttweiler, whose opinion I respect the most, said the GNX is mostly hype in a conversation one day.

Having a GNX would be great. Unlike some though, I see all our TRs as pieces of history, not just the GNX. As a WE4 owner, championing their upkeep & survival as rare machines is among my biases. The general direction Buick took after retiring our platform is truly sad. Maybe we'll see that change. In the meantime, let's keep our flags flying.

If you can afford a GNX, that's the first requisite. Just take care of it. That's the second. If you understand what you're investing in, who's to tell you anything else? But whether you own a high mileage driver, or a garage queen of any TR variety, above all, enjoy it. There's no need to be political about it. We all own something fairly rare. And my father and I are quite thankful to give two a good home. He bought his new, and we found mine recently. Almost a "barn find".

I think that part of the problem lies in the mindset that a GNX should be stored and not driven. It's the same with some other GN or T-type or any car for that matter, they where built to be driven if they where built to go into storage then thier preformance wouldn't matter. I have drove everything from junk that may not make it home to GNs, my Turbo-T, newer Corvettes some mustangs even some import stuff the list could go one for ever. The best stories come from driving and or racing and riding in these cars not from looking at them. I do not own a GNX would I like to have one sure but if I paid for one I would sure be driving and racing it with a great big smile on my face.

it's the fender flares and vents that make them so awesome...
and the "Corvette sized" rear tires.

A GNX is an overpriced '87 GN in my humble opinion. I own and drive both. The GN tracks nicely down the road. The GNX gets pulled around by road crown thanks to the fat tires. The GNX rear suspension is a neat sensation though. Anytime you are at a stop and then take off, you can feel the rear of the car lift.

It is 70-80s tech, of course it is outdated. Overpriced? Maybe but as you said you paid for one so you would know.

Some things that bother me about the GNX is the way it was modified. I'm a perfectionist I admit, but what a hack job of a process adding the fender flares, especially on the rear quarters. Have you ever noticed the gap between the flare and the cut lip of the quarter? Jeez, it's pimp my ride kind of work. You even get double-sided tape that attempts to hold the lower parts of the flare to the body.

Have you checked out any of the other 'conversion' or specialty cars? How about a conversion vans of the eighties? They were converted as cheaply as possible. It was meant to sell it right then, not last 25 or even 5 years. Get it through the warranty period and that is what they did.

How about some of the original stuff on the regular Regal. Again, eighties tech and it wasn't much for fit or finish compared to new stuff today.

Ever look at the center caps? I know the project was rushed, but can't we have a real plastic medallion on the cap instead of a sticker on top of a clear firebird center? Unreal.

The GNX has a much better dash setup over the GN. That's the one thing I wish the GN had from the GNX. The SW guages are nice as far as monitoring the vitals, but you can sure tell they are from the aftermarket. At night, the speedo and tack are unevenly lit. The gas gauge needle is all over the place from the fuel sloshing in the tank, and the lense has a fogging problem at times too. I assume it's from the heat of the bulb warming up a cold guage? The boost guage is another issue. They should've read to at least 20 psi, but seeing the needle sweep from vacuum to boost is cool.

So why did I buy the GNX if I don't sound so excited about them? Mainly investment purposes. But I'm starting to rethink that. At this point, I wouldn't mind selling it to put the money into a 50's convertible. I see my GN sticking around long after the GNX. It's value is more in line with MY expectations.

Here's some final words: The GNX is definately a Rare and cool car. It's one of the Holy Grails of Buicks, but most people out side of the car hobby don't even know the GNX. The first thing out of their mouths is "is that a Grand National?". Most everybody knows the Grand National, after you explain it's not a Monte Carlo.;)

If you've got the coin and want to own a rare car, the GNX is for you. If I had to choose between a GN and GNX, it's the GN hands down.

Much like the Jeep guys, if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand. I don't have the 'coin' so I didn't buy one then and really can't swing one now, but the economy is swinging my way so you never know what I might be able to acquire. I'd buy one in a second if I could. And, yes, If I had one, I would drive it. Probably not a dd but every chance I got for pleasure and out to the track to run it.

As far as 'no one' knowing what a GNX is I'm sure F&F4 will take care of that. I get a bunch of "GNX talk" as if 'everyone' knows what it is though the Grand National is quite well know even after more than 20yrs, too. Try explaining what a WE4 is to one of the 'know it alls'.