Whats makes the GN/Buick T-type trannys different from any other 200-4R?

2kSSLS1

As I was told, I need to get the tranny out of a 84-87 Grand National, Buick T-type, or Monte Carlo SS for the correct build. What makes those particular trannys different from the "regular" 200-4Rs? Are there any differences between the GN, BT-T, and MCSS? I was told that I could use a "regular" 200-4R, but something will have to be change/swapped out, but will cost me more to convert. Besides the ID tag, how can you be sure that its a true BQ, BRQ, or BRF? <--I think those are the ones for the GNs/BT-Ts. Im in the market for one, which by the way...if you or someone you know has one for sale or is thinking about selling one, please email me! Thanks in advance!

no-they are different, 84/85 s are "BQ" coded and 86/87 s are "BRF" coded.i believe the differences are the same as mentioned,valve bodies,servos and govenors.

Originally posted by Russ Merritt
Valvebody, govenor, and servo are all differant.
Is it difficult/expensive to convert a regular 200-4R with the parts listed above from the GN/Buick T-type? Is it worth doing? Are the parts that you mentioned stronger than the regular 200-4R's parts? Are those the things that need to in good condition or reusable when you build one up or consider it rebuidable? Thanks

Originally posted by 49-blues
no-there are different, 84/85 s are "BQ" coded and 86/87 s are "BRF" coded. i believe the differences are the same as mentioned,valve bodies,servos and govenors.
:confused: So they are different or not? You say that no they arent different, but they are coded different, then you say the valve bodies, servos, and governors are whats different. I'd like to know this too, so let me re-word it, besides the ID tags, are there any differences whatsoever within the years of 84-87 GN/Buick T-type trannys? Thanks

Originally posted by 2kSSLS1
Is it difficult/expensive to convert a regular 200-4R with the parts listed above from the GN/Buick T-type? Is it worth doing? Are the parts that you mentioned stronger than the regular 200-4R's parts? Are those the things that need to in good condition or reusable when you build one up or consider it rebuidable? Thanks

It is not difficult, expensive maybe. All the 84-87 turbo 2004rs are "worth" rebuilding. The valvebody and govenors are matched to give the desired shift point. The servos are bigger and give te band more force to complete the 1/2 shift without slipping. You can use a billet servo, but it is not nessesary till you start makin big power.

Originally posted by Russ Merritt
Valvebody, govenor, and servo are all differant.
Are there any differences between the years of 84-87? Ex: Is there anything different about an 85 from an 87? I read that only governers are different. So if they are going to be changed anyway for the build, then does it matter whether I get an 84 or an 87? Were there any improvements of as the years went by? (84 to 85, 85 to 86, etc.?) Thanks

I am told time after time that the only real difference between the BQs and BRFs is the servo. Change the servo to 86-87 specs and you are in the money. I have a BQ in the barn that is destined for BRF service one day. I'm not throwing it away if that tells you anything.

I have a BQ in the barn that is destined for BRF service one day. I'm not throwing it away if that tells you anything.
What do you mean? Please specify. Thanks :D

As mentioned earlier in the thread, BQ was the turbo regal transmission in 84-85. Same as BRF (86-87) except for the servo. That is the best explanation I can give. My point was that all turbo regal transmissions from 84-87 are valuable, so I'm keeping the BQ transmission that I have. When you find either a BQ or BRF, it will work for you with the proper parts for your application.

You wouldnt happen to want to sell it would ya? Im in desperate need of one, but I cant seem to find one in my price range or one local. I'd really like to keep it local so that I dont have to pay for shipping which then would be more money that I have to offer for the tranny itself! Let me know if you wanna sell it, Im interested if you are. Thanks

I'm sure Bruce will correct me if I'm wrong but as far as strength goes, all 200-4Rs are the same to my knowledge. I think the only differences in the "turbo" ones are changes in the valvebody, servo, and governor all of which are likely to change anyway behind an LS1 with it's different powerband/rpm range.

Through the years there were some upgrades like the pump in mid 86 and I "think" some got the hardened stator support in the later years but this was across the board, not just in our cars.

What's your "price range" PTS gets $600 on a BRF core?

I have one and a rebuild kit, and a PTS shift kit, PR kit, and billet servo, Alto band, etc....

I plan to use it in my Chevelle but a GV unit also sounds like a plan so if the $$ is right I might let it all go....

I'm in TX too :)

What's your "price range" PTS gets $600 on a BRF core?
Well, it all depends on where the tranny is coming from. The more I have to pay for shipping, the less Im going to have to offer for the tranny itself. If its local, (which I'd like it to be, but doesnt have to) then I wont have to spend any money at all on shipping which would then allow me to put up more. Depending on how much you want for the tranny, I may be interested. Im actually in desperate need for one, but prices are making my decisions right now. However, all the other things that you listed I wouldnt be interested in because the tranny that Im using for a core is getting totally built. I dont even need one thats in working condition, just a decent core. Another reason why I dont want to pay too much is because all my money is going towards the build. Shoot me an email or PM with about what you want for the tranny itself and we'll go from there. Where about in Texas are you? Thank you for the offer. Have a good one!

'87 BRF variation

as I understand it, sometime about mid-'86 they started putting the 10-vane pumps in the BRF's instead of the 7-vane pumps.