What's it worth? 1986 Turbo Regal

Paul Lohr

I hope I am posting this in the right place. Sorry if I am not.

Trying to figure out if this car is worth the money. I have not looked at too many of these to have a good feel. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

The car is a 1986 Buick Regal T-type. Supposedly an original, not a conversion.

Stock engine, upgraded Garrett turbo (no details on the model), performance chip (again, no details), upgraded injectors (once again, no details). There are a few oil leaks. Supposedly the engine runs well and transmission works nicely but the owner believes it has an ignition problem. Tomorrow I will try to sort that out to see if and how well it runs. I should probably also take a jack and look to see if it has a 109 block.

Car probably has about 120K miles.

There are some wiring issues - headlights short out somewhere. Overall it does not look like too much of the wiring has been disturbed.

Substantial amount of rust - above the upper hinges on both sides, most of the lower parts (nearest the road) have some to a good bit of rust. Most of this is only visible from down low - down on the hands and knees inspecting. Rusted out hole in the trunk channel (where the water lays), rust at the bottom of the trunk lid. The car really needs a good bit of rust repair which is a shame because the paint looks very decent.

Interior of the car is nice. Driver's seat is a tiny bit faded but otherwise nice, seat foam is somewhat firm, carpet is nice, the interior has not been hacked and all of the pieces are there.

The owner wants $3000 for this car. I know this may be hard to say without seeing it, but do you feel the car is worth this? Thanks for any help.

There is plenty help here with alot of experienced guys...Take plenty of pictures and post. Most will offer great info. Also a good deal also depends if you are planning on doing most of the work yourself and also what is your goal for this car?

Does it have t-tops or a sunroof ? If so it will probably be a parts car. Repairing that rust in the jamb by the hinge sucks. check the floors real good and the trunk down in both wells and all the body mounts. If you see alot of rust there is alot more you dont see:eek: For the price you wont get hurt. You could part it out and make your money back and then some. Post pics of car and of all the rust you can see. If there is oil leaks thats good .That means there is oil in it. When it stops leaking your out of oil. Take pic of option tag on trunk deck. and interior

Thank, guys for taking your time to help me.

I hear you on the rust - there are probably piles more.

No t-tops or sunroof.

Here are a few photos. I will get a few more today.

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Thank, guys for taking your time to help me.

I hear you on the rust - there are probably piles more.

No t-tops or sunroof.

Here are a few photos. I will get a few more today.

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

I mean the rust in the door jam.... Ive seen worste!! Looks just like surface rust!!Keyword...LOOKS. But im iffy on the ignition and wiring problem!! Who knows how hacked up that could be!!Like previous gentelman said, post up as many pics as you can , so people can tell you what the deal is on the car!!

No g80. Is it a blue interior? Cool color combo if it is.

I'd drive it. Looks like a good project for the money.

Doesn't look too bad in the pics. Looks to have over the asking price in parts alone. Seems like a good deal.

Thanks for all of the help.

Spent a little more time looking the car over. Typical rust behind the rear wheels in the wheel wells is there. The area above and behind the gas tank has a good bit of rust started. I looked over the driver side floorboards - did not see any rust. For some reason I forgot to check the passenger side floorboards. The worst part is probably the hinge and pillar area. But the small rust repairs needed here and there sure add up.

The car does not run. It probably needs an ignition module but I did not get a chance to test for the pulse, power, ground, etc. at the module. The owner asked me to switch out the coil pack thinking it was dead. Still there was no spark after changing out the coil pack. There is a pulse at the injectors though.

For those interested in the car, it is in Cape Coral, Florida. You can call the owner at 239-218-7178. In case you did not see it in the earlier post, asking price is currently $3000.

Craigslist: 1986 Turbo Buick Regal GN

Thanks for all of the help.

Spent a little more time looking the car over. Typical rust behind the rear wheels in the wheel wells is there. The area above and behind the gas tank has a good bit of rust started. I looked over the driver side floorboards - did not see any rust. For some reason I forgot to check the passenger side floorboards. The worst part is probably the hinge and pillar area. But the small rust repairs needed here and there sure add up.

The car does not run. It probably needs an ignition module but I did not get a chance to test for the pulse, power, ground, etc. at the module. The owner asked me to switch out the coil pack thinking it was dead. Still there was no spark after changing out the coil pack. There is a pulse at the injectors though.

For those interested in the car, it is in Cape Coral, Florida. You can call the owner at 239-218-7178. In case you did not see it in the earlier post, asking price is currently $3000.

Craigslist: 1986 Turbo Buick Regal GN

Crank Sensor?