What's an *easy* shift kit to install for a "transmission illiterate" guy like me?!

YGETV8

I think, therefore I am??
Looked through this section, but didn't really see what I was after. I have never had a trans apart further than needed for a fluid/filter change! Given that, can I install a shift kit? What's an "easy" one to install that'll work?! Or should I just pay a tranny guy to do it?!

The trans in my 60K WE4 seems okay, but would like to firm up the shifts.

Any responses welcome! ;)

I did it once and I swear that I will never do it again. It just plain sucked. If you have a garage with a lift its easier but when valve body off and see what you have to do it can be a bit overwhelming. There are just to many springs, check balls, and valves laying everywhere and the instuctions didn't show any good pictures. I got it back together and it worked but I deffinatly won't do it again.

By the way if your shifts are loosing there firmness a shift kit will help for a while but it will only hasten the eventual end of your tranny.

I put the B&M kit in my car. Under $30. I had a friend help. It's definitely a two man job. Improved my shift just slightly. Not a bad idea to pay an honest shop $100 to install it. Only problem is trusting someone else to do the work.:(

Thanks, Guys! I HATE the thought of leaving my car at a shop, but... we'll see.

Jay

Originally posted by hgriz
I did it once and I swear that I will never do it again. It just plain sucked. If you have a garage with a lift its easier but when valve body off and see what you have to do it can be a bit overwhelming. There are just to many springs, check balls, and valves laying everywhere and the instuctions didn't show any good pictures. I got it back together and it worked but I deffinatly won't do it again.

Well, this is all the info I need. I chickened out installing my Eaton posi so I paid somebody else to do it. Looks like I'm going to chicken out installing the shift kit, too.

Check balls, springs, pins, blah blah blah......FORGET IT!

Besides, it usually takes me about 4-times longer to do any work on the car than it would a normal person.

Now to find somebody in the Atlanta area who has done it before (preferrably multiple times). Maybe John at BGC?

Actually, I ended up installing the B&M Transpak myself about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Wasn't all that bad, but wasn't "fun" either! Took my sweet time and CAREFULLY followed the directions.

Car shifts much better, thank you! I'd say it's about 50/50... for the time it took me, I could have paid the $75 I was quoted for an install and been $$$ ahead (time is money). If it would have turned out bad, I would have nobody to blame but myself... at least if a shop does it and there's a problem, you may be able to have them rectify it.

Jay

If it's under $100 to have one of these shift kits installed, then I'd be nuts to do it myself. Chuck Leepers referred me to some cat who builds GN trannies in Snellville (where everybody's somebody). So if there's a problem with mine (worn band or whatever) he'll be able to tell me.