whats a 4.1 worth?

Xamot

Hey All, well I decided to go with a SBB 350 w/turbo instead of a conversion of my 4.1.
Unfortunately, I got laid off on Monday and I have decided to sell my current engine. But I need advice on how much its worth. It's complete, carb to oil pan, and I've seen them posted for sale for all different prices. Any advice would be great. Thanks all
Mike

my opinion if everything is standard about $700 . crank which has rolled fillets on both rods and mains is worth about $300 block is probably worth close to $400 timing cover probably $75 heads $50 everything else not really much.

$700?, I guess if it is a running driving piece. I can honestly say I wouldn't spend that much but I'm sure that buyer is out there. They are getting scarce. You could get em pulled and loaded for $125 but that has been a few years ago.

That cash for clunkers crushed a lot of stuff and along with it went a lot of older stuff. GLWS

texas t . 109 bare blocks are going for $300-400 on here all the time and I think a 4.1 is harder to come by. like I said a unturned "turbo"crank also has good value. last summer I went on 150 cities on craigslist looking for regal and gn parts cars just to see whats out there. I looked all over the country not just up in the northeast where i'm from and there are literally no cars out there I was able to find. a $2000 regal parts car doesn't make sense. a $4000 regal with 24's doesn't make sense to buy and part out either. parts car regals have to be under $1000 or less to even think about being bothered with and they just aren't out there. this part of the country scrap metal values have been high for at least 5 years now and I could easily get $600 in scrap out of a junked car. the circle track racers are buying them too. the cash for clunkers got a bunch of them as well. this is the beginning of the end for good used parts freshly pulled off parts cars. what you will eventually see is guys with hoardes of parts sell off their stock piles and that is how things will get back out there in the world again. this is what will happen just like it did with all the older cars like your gs . there aren't a lot of gs's getting stripped these days and probably not many skylarks either. I did strip a 71 gs myself a few years ago I literally sold 90% of that car. most went in under a months time because nobody is stripping. its a big circle.

again this is just my opinion

it would be worth $700 if it came with the rest of the car in running and driving condition thrown in for free..

TTAOWNER sells more parts then a 1000 other members of this forum combined. He just pointed out the individual prices for each item.
Block...$300-400 Crank...$250-300 Timing Cover...$75 Heads...$50
If your going to build a turbo engine out of it, your gonna need it all but maybe the heads. $700 sounds fair to me. I paid $500 for my NA 109, cleaned...magged...bore checked...and turbo drain back hole tapped.
Of corse, this all depends on if the parts are good, but running doesn't rule out bad parts either, so it's always a gamble

Nothing wrong with an informed opinion. I may be out of touch. I will concur that regals are getting hard to come by even here where rust isnt resposible for over half of their demise. There are a lot of g bodies roaming here but the prices have definately gone up.

I may have to start liquidating some of my stuff. With the prices I could fund a nice 4.1 with some of the pistons earl Brown is working on.

its just the cycle of things. stick around long enough and 109 blocks will probably be worth $1000. its a 2 year block. look at chevelle part prices or gto stuff etc.... all that stuff used to be cheap or free and look where that stuff is. this stuff will eventually get there as well.look a few years ago and even fairly recently guys are chopping up rustfree cars or rollers or cars that were taken apart for restoration when times were good and everybody needed to bail to eat or keep their house and those were nice cars . anything I chop up is junk from the rust belt or been crashed really hard or just a plain regal. I don't part out real nice turbo cars because I have the parts to fix decent ones. enough of my rambling.