What would cause this?

natethegreat85

drive fast, take chances
Everything is stock, so I have no gauges or anything. I have no boost. The factory boost thing under the rpm would go up to 12psi, now it maxes at like 4. It feels like I'm driving a grandma car. It tries to get up to speed, but just struggles to get past 3000 rpms and just stays there so, I have to ease the pedal accelerate in order for it to change gears. I'll be cruising along and step on the gas....it used to begin boost right away and take off, but now nothing:mad:.

It runs fine (kind of), idles fine, the turbo isn't kicking in. Dad had an 86 that did the same thing. He took off the cat and ran like new. I'm going to try that, if that's not it, what else could it be?:confused:

Ditto. Check the wastegate actuator, vacuum, etc...

Also might want to make sure your turbo isn't locked up.

I've actually had both of these happen to mine at different times and the symptom was the same as you describe.

it was the cat. unbolted it and curtain hanger wired it to the side. took it for a spin, woke up the entire neighborhood, and turbo was kicking in almost instantly. what have you guys done to fix this problem. new cat, test pipe, or gut the old one?:confused: planning on taken it to the muffler shop this weekend.

Brian at Gbodyparts.com carries test pipes and dump pipes for your hot air needs! he is great to deal with!

John:eek:

Yeah, I've been in contact with him. since i dont go to the track ever, i'm going with a test pipe. and i figured i might as well and go ahead and get a downpipe. :cool: -Nathan

the quick, dirty, and cheap answer is to take out the cat and use a long rod of some kind (i tire iron works) and knock all the stuff out of it. bolt it back up, and it still looks stock. not as good as a bigger down pipe and matching test pipe, but better than a plugged cat.