What would be a good cam thats not a roller?

Daniel Jost

Squirtin six
Im building a new engine do to failure of the last one, the question i have is what cam would be a good idea for my new combo, i dont have the money resources right now to go roller but a good hydraulic flat tappet? i was looking at 206-206 and 212-212.... What would be my pros and cons and were is the best place to get one?

Combo:
-Old A$$ TA-49
-009 Injectors (Yeah its all old school It needs to be upgraded)
-Ported Heads
-Ported Intake and upper plenum
-headers/ 3.5 DP
-3100 stall L/U
-heavy Valve springs, Stronger Pushrods
-stock bottom end and a set of aftermarket pistons

Any Input Appreciated
Thanks, Dan

I used 3 Erson 214-214 & never had a problem as long as they were broken in properly but I run a roller now as suggested. I will say the Erson & GM lifters were very quiet.

I've used the Edelbrock 204/214 flat tappet before and it is a good choice and is quiet. I haven't seen a price on it lately but when i bought mine from Jeg's mail order performance it was around $130.00 for the cam and lifters set.

If you do go with the flat tappet cam which ever the brand you choose, you will need to use a good oil additive like the ZDDPlus to help ensure you don't wipeout the cam lobes and lifters.

Read here for further info:

ZDDPlus™ - ZDDP Additive for Classic Cars - Agricultural Equipment & More

John :smile:

it would take a lot more saving for me to get a roller cam, i will in the future, but for now i think im going to go with the 204-214 it looks like the way to go. How does it pull on the top end?

$ave $ave $ave and go with a 212/212 comp roller it will give you room to grow its very streetable and has been proven good in the 9's:eek:

with all of the problems with flat tappet cams wiping lobes i would save for a rollor.even though i had good luck with my flat tapped its just safe insurance.

Im building a new engine do to failure of the last one, the question i have is what cam would be a good idea for my new combo, i dont have the money resources right now to go roller but a good hydraulic flat tappet? i was looking at 206-206 and 212-212.... What would be my pros and cons and were is the best place to get one?

Combo:
-Old A$$ TA-49
-009 Injectors (Yeah its all old school It needs to be upgraded)
-Ported Heads
-Ported Intake and upper plenum
-headers/ 3.5 DP
-3100 stall L/U
-heavy Valve springs, Stronger Pushrods
-stock bottom end and a set of aftermarket pistons

Any Input Appreciated
Thanks, Dan
204/214 cam get one from frankg a member on the board cam, lifters and springs for a great price. 3 hard hard years with it and just had to change heads and the lifters and lobes are still brand new. i use rotella 15/45 and stp oil treatment every oil change since they both have zddp in them. good luck on your choice. btw it pulls hard mid and top

STOP - do the roller. I did a Kenne Berll 208 flat tappet last year and I am kicking myself. I have had no problems and the car runs great but it makes me sick to think I could have done the roller for a little more. I either did not think of it or did not listen to advice. Depending on your goals, consider a girdle or at least billet caps. Spend money on the foundation and add the bolt on parts when you get the money. You will regret not doing the roller in my opinion.

Thanks Quip'6'... Like i said im a student right now on a part time budget! I guess in my eyes going from $200 for cam and lifter to $700 for a roller setup thats more than three times as much! this will be my second aftermarket cam and i have never had problems and have never run ZDDP i ran rotella in the car but plan on running ZDDP now though! I will be building a second engine full out after im out of collage (plans for a 4.1 stroker roller setup) with my spare block. so if this engine makes it 2 years still A.K.A 6,000 miles i will be fine. Like i said i am just looking for a good flat tappet...

Thanks, Dan

Just wanted to jump in and ask a question? Going with eagle crank eagle rods and je pistons ported heads and intake. my engine builder suggested a roller cam to me. He also said I needed a roller rocker set. Do I need this? Also I want to make sure it is quiet. What should I do?