what undercoat to use after i cleaned up front end of the car chassi and motor area??

Buickfan

need some help here guys i cleaned up the entire front end of my chassis before i put the motor back in. now what paint or under coat should i use that you guys think should be good??

thanks, Ruben

5a8e124c.jpg

Just get a quart of some black Rustoleum Satin enamel. You might want to prime it first with the Rustoleum primer. Apply it with a foam brush; it will lay out nice. Just make sure you degrease really, really well. I would wipe everywhere I could get to with lacquer thinner on a rag then spray it with starting fluid. No smoking and plenty of ventilation! :)~

POR15 peels off. Use either expoy primer and a sating chassis black, of Rustoleum as stated. Rustoleum works better than POR15.

Do not use POR 15 or Chassis Saver on areas that are rust free or if you have treated the rust. Those products need corrosion and rust deposits to bond. Without rust, they are useless.

Eastwood's "Extreme" or "Ceramic" Chassis Black is an awesome product! Unlike Rustoleum and other general use products, Eastwoods Chassis series of paints are specifically for your vehicle. They are more resistant to heat and grease/oil. They have all sorts of different finishes and different ways to apply it.

Another great product is Zero Rust. It is a rust encapsulator/inhibitor, but unlike POR 15, it will bond to properly prepped rust free surfaces and prepped rusted surfaces. (by prepped I mean heavily sanded/fiberglass/bondo....) Zero Rust comes in spray cans and it's reasonably priced.

I'm "cleaning up" my 87 T. At the moment, the frame and suspension have been removed to get stripped/blasted, so I'm working on the underside of the bare body right now. Some areas are heavily rusted and other areas just need a little sanding and de-greasing. This is the perfect situation for a product like Zero Rust. I can prep the entire underbody and cover everything at once with one product. It's o.k. if I miss a few rusty spots when I'm sanding everything because it will bond just as well to the rust. Then, if I want to put a nice coat of body paint, gloss chassis paint or undercoating, I just scuff up the Zero Rust and paint right over it.

After my zero rust goes on, I'm going to scuff it and SPRAY it with Raptor. Raptor has a lot of characteristics of a bed liner/undercoating. The biggest advantage is that it has better UV qualities and it has a smoother finish than most bed liners. Also, Raptor will hold up MUCH better than most paints on street/strip cars.

The chassis will be media blasted. Immediately after getting it back, I will prime it and then paint it with Eastwood's "Extreme" Chassis paint. I've seen it on a few other frames and it is tough stuff and lays very nice!

I've talked to many people about different options and products for restoration painting and this is the way I'm going to do it. I'm sure there are similar products out there, but I named the ones that I'm familiar with.

Thanks a lot to everybody and a special thanks to turbotony1. Im guessing im going to clean up my chassis one more good time and go with what you say. Can i find all these products at a autopart or i have to go to a special paint supply store?

Thanks a lot to everybody and a special thanks to turbotony1. Im guessing im going to clean up my chassis one more good time and go with what you say. Can i find all these products at a autopart or i have to go to a special paint supply store?

You can find the Eastwood stuff on their website or out of their mail order catalog.

The Zero Rust can be found at some auto parts stores, I've seen it in person at a body shop supply store and online. Its reasonably priced. I recommend the spray can.

There are many ways to find Raptor. However, I would just go to Amazon.com and type in "Raptor Truck Bed Liner Kit Black by U-Pol" It's about $100 for the paint kit itself. The spray gun is also listed as a related item (I think its $15). There are some great reviews of the product. Its very easy to use.

The Raptor is something I would recommend to someone who has the body off the frame. It isn't something I would use on a small job or in tight quarters.
A local chassis/car fabricator uses this stuff regularly. Many of his street/strip cars get this treatment. You can't go wrong. But, like with everything else, I'm sure people have great results with other products. The products that I are listed, I've used myself, seen in person and know professionals that swear by them.

Merry Christmas!!!!
Anthony

semi gloss Rustoleum spray paint is cheap and will hold up to some pretty severe use..take a little time to take the front clip (fenders, hood, radiator support) off the car and get everything as grease free as you can, spray the frame with a few heavy coats and put it back together.. just make sure you keep track of where all the shims for the fenders go when you take it apart or you might have a fun time getting everything lined back up-a box of ziplock bags and a sharpie are your friends for this..

i hope you've got some pieces of wood under those jackstands to spread the load.. they aren't exactly stable in dirt..