What turbo to use with converter?

2toneNV

I am wanting to get into the 11's with my stock block, but at the same time I do not want a high stall converter and lose driveability. I want to stay with converter that isn't any higher than 2800-3000rpm's. What would be a good turbo combo? Not really excited about spending $1000 plus on a DBB turbo, alternatives!
Thanks

Cottons and Fullthrottlespeed are the places to look. Jack is awsome and is helping me a turbo right now. Fullthrottlespeed is one class act as well.

Go with a duall ball bearing unit. Probably a 6131DBB. That will get you there. If you could go with a 3200 stall, then the 6776DBB is a SERIOUS turbo. Easy 11's. The amount of power that you can make with a BIG dual ball bearing turbo is worth the extra money. Don't get cheap on the main item under your hood that will make the power............the turbo. A dual BB 6131 or 6776 will make WAY more power than the journal bearing TE44 or TA49 that you will have to run with a stock converter.

I also debated the $$ issue when deciding to upgrade turbos. I didnt want to spend the extra dollars but I figured if I was gonna do it once I would do it right. (Thanks Turbo6 for twisting my arm in that desicion;) ) My 6776DBB with the PTC 10" 3200 is 100% mild mannered on the street...until you put your foot into it that is.:eek: :D Traction is a wish even with my ET Streets...

I have not yet gone to the track so I am not going to throw a hypothetical E.T.number out there. BUT...what I will say is that after owning 3 TR's over the past 12 years with many different combos and tunes..this combo is the meanest I have put together. This turbo give you alot of headroom to grow down the road if you want to add a camshaft or heads. So factor that in your desicion also.

By the way...my past combo was high 11's and this combo makes that feel slow.:cool:

use your torque converter budget to cover the difference of getting a 6131BB. Plenty of turbo for your target, and very usable with the stock torque converter.

Bob