What turbo for low-11/high-10 sec. car ???

RobG

I'd like some input from the experts on which turbo would be ideal for a street car that is capable to run 10's. This is my hot rod build up and I'm a little overwhelmed by the options. :confused:

I personally would go with the GT6152 from Precision. Seen the one guy down here run 10.80's with it and he drove the car on a regular basis with a 3000 stall converter.

i would imagine anything 61 trim and up would do it for ya. depends on ur combo! what r u lookin at doin besides the turbo? current combo?

i would imagine anything 61 trim and up would do it for ya. depends on ur combo! what r u lookin at doin besides the turbo? current combo?

I want to freshen up the bottom end and go with a girdle. Ported stock heads & intake. I also got the following from the classifieds on this board, ESP front mount & Burhead stainless headers. I'd like to do a 3" downpipe with external wastegate and a single 3" exhaust. I'm completely redoing the car and I'd like to have the turbo/downpipe combo settled on for mock up purposes before the body goes off to paint. I wouldn't be too happy about massaging the firewall once it's painted.

I'm a goober when it comes to turbo's because I spent the last 8 years meesing around with Gen 2 Lightning's :confused:

If you want 10's and truly streetable, ie. lower stall convertor, than get yourself a ballbearing. Brian

I have a GT6152 that will certainly take you there however looking back on things I would have gone with a 6776. There are roughly the same price and can take you into the mid 10's easily. From what I understand they have great street manners.
Look at it this way, do you want a turbo you can grow into or out of?

I have a GT6152 that will certainly take you there however looking back on things I would have gone with a 6776. There are roughly the same price and can take you into the mid 10's easily. From what I understand they have great street manners.

i have the same turbo as well and lookin back the 6776 ball bearing looks pretty sweet!

Exactly, I've been down the road of constant upgrades with my trucks and it started with "I'll be happy to run low 13's with it..." then it was high 12's then low 12's and so on. That's why I'm setting a goal of a solid low 11 second street car since that will be more than enough of fun seat time and I doubt I'll ever cage the thing. Then turn the boost up with race gas and get a 10 second pass would be very sweet :biggrin:

Thanks a lot guys !!!

Another vote for the PT6776R. If you can get one.... I hear they're hard to come by these days.