What To Get For Tuning and Monitoring

Blown&Injected

I blew a head gasket. It should be an easy fix but there is still the underlying problem that caused the backfire that blew the gasket in the first place.

I plan to get a wideband O2. But which system? I would like something that logs the factory computer data along with the wideband data, not just the air/fuel ratio.

There are lots of different devices out there and some new stuff. What would you get for engine management today?

Thanks

Scanmaster. All the vendors sell them, or buy one used off the board. Best money you’ll spend.

Datalogging the factory computer, and engine management are two different things.

The only high speed datalogger for the factory computer is the Powerlogger.

If you are looking for different engine management, then that's a whole different discussion.

Thanks for the recommendations. I need to do some more homework/reading on some of our Vendor’s sites.

A friend with a Dodge has an Innovate WBO2 system that also ties into the stock computer so he can log on a graph. The WBO2 also sends a signal to an analog air fuel ratio gauge. Do we have anything like that?

For tuning/engine management, I have a chip that lets me bump the timing and fueling around a little bit, thank you Eric, and it seems like that should be good enough for me but since I am seeking to get something new together, I was hoping there might be some overlap with our computers and tuning and logging all in one package.

The BS3 PnP sounds like it is way more than I need but it has tuning and monitoring in one box that is a new computer...Thanks for the ideas because the BS3 thing sounds like it will be close to $2k after all is in and done.

Earl, do you mean both a Power logger and a Scanmaster? That seems redundant???

Sportsman

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yes. Fast XFI sportsman. This may cover all your bases in one shot.

After adding all the costs of other stuff, this may prove to be the simplest and most cost effective. And If your going to start a new learning curve, it might as well be here.

You need to provide more information. What is your experience with TBs. What do you have for a chip and mods now. What does it run in the 1/4? What are you goals? What is your tuning experience? If you are a rookie, you don't need an aftermarket ecu. The stock one has gone 9s with an expert. 11s are not that hard with the right parts and tune. I would say go Powerlogger, Wb and alky.

My experience? I ordered the car in April 1986. Took delivery in July 86. Daily driver for well into the six figures going 13.50 at 104 with a stage 3 Hypertech chip before I had the opportunity to rebuild the engine in the 1990's:

30 over, not too mild cam, Blue Tops, Eastern Performance FMIC, Pats Converter - still in the car, plenum spacer, and more.

Then fuel pump failure = bad knock = .040 over and probably more stuff I do not even recall like 224/224 - I liked the way it pulled.

#3 exhaust lobe failure = roller cam and rockers, behive springs, I think this is when the 50 pph injectors went in. I think 218/210, it was about the time the bigger exhaust lobe cams cam out. Car running 11.70 at 116 - not locking the converter and do not recall what chip I was using. About 21 PSI with 100 Sunoco unleaded.

Oil galley plug pops out = crank and bearings had all it could take = forged pistons and forged internal balance crank/BHJ/SFI Flex Plate.

Along the way ALKY, EGR block off...circumstances had me away so long it is hard to recall the complete history. Somewhere in there I had the heads fully ported.

Last edited:
The powerlogger and scanmaster together is not redundant at all. The scanmaster is just for a quick check to make sure things are spot on. The powerlogger records way more data to review during a full pass. They kind of go hand in hand. The plx wideband was a breeze to install btw.

blew a head gasket. It should be an easy fix but there is still the underlying problem that caused the backfire that blew the gasket in the first place.
I run fuel pressure gauges so I can look at fuel pressure in real time.i have found it very valuable.you can go as fancy as you want on datalogging,but it's always after the fact.there are systems that have built on safeguards but I have been able to see a fuel pump down in pressure just by the fp gauge.tuning the car on the richer side and for the fuel your running and looking at your fuel system in real time is key to making power and keeping it alive.

I'ld start with a fresh Alkycontrol kit, 60lb injectors, Turbo Tweak 5.7 or 6.1 chip and the Powerlogger and WB. I'm assuming you have a Scanmaster. You'll need the newer 2.2 version for the Powerlogger if you is from the 90s. You will be able to adjust the chip with the 6.1/Powerlogger with the laptop which is an easier way to set the parameters. You can also use a fuel pressure transducer to log you fuel pressure which is very important.

Power logger with scanmaster and a wideband O2 system plug into your power logger will work like your buddies Dodge.
With a sd2 chip from Eric you could tune basically whatever.
If you don't want to spend too much money this is a good option
Get the scanmaster G
You could probably get lucky find a scanmaster and power logger from a member for cheap. The chip just buy it new

I use this
GEN-4 PLX Wideband O2 Air/Fuel Module w/sensor LSU 4.9
You don't need a Gage because you'll be reading it from your scanmaster G.

I love the powerlogger and scanmaster g, easy to get it logging boost and wbo2.