What to do when you are running out of rpm

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
OK say you are running with 25 lbs of boost on a stock motor with just a valve spring upgrade (my motor)...you are running 28"x9" slicks...you are closing in on the finish line and the torque converter is locked...you are racing in D...say you are redlining at around 5200 rpms and still haven't hit the finish line...do you shift into OD or just keep the pedal to the floor regardless if you are redlined...will the car go faster staying in D or shifting into OD? i haven't got to this point yet because last time at the track i had stock 90k valve springs and i never got a chance to rev that high...just wanting to know what to do on the track

just tonight i got it up to redline 5200 rpms in a heartbeat in D on the highway...shifted into OD and rpms dropped to 4400 or so...

I doubt you'll have to worry about it. When the converter is locked even 115 mph is only 4900 rpm. In order to hit 5200 rpm you will have to be running approx 120+ mph..
But to answer your question if I needed to I would shift into OD..

hth's
ks;)

If you shift into OD above 5200 RPM it actually isn't that bad from a performance standpoint. It is really hard on the transmission, though.

The problem with OD is when the trans shifts itself. It usually will shift at 4900 were it is still making power into OD at a point where it is making less.