what to buy?

no-nos

hay guys, need some advice , I am going to be ordering a new driveshaft, just not sure what drive shaft to order? is Aluminum better because of the weight to turn ratio and it weight's less. my sig is what i have, boost is currently set at 25lbs and pulls like a freight train!:eek: , i just don't want my driveshaft breaking and damageing my tranny, or is the stock driveshaft still good? thanks for the feedback in advance.

I had a local drive shaft shop build a custom one for me and I asked him about aluminum....he showed me a pile of Shattered Aluminum drive shafts from people that tried them. He said that because of the small diameter of the drive shaft the decrease in weight of the Aluminuym makes little difference in the resistance to spin it and the decrease in strength compared to a steel one is quite large. Therefore he said he would make me one but said for a heavy (GN) drag car he would not warranty it or recommend it.

you have a trans brake ??? we have an alum one in Melissa's GN .. worked great BUT don't know how its goin to like slicks and a brake :eek: How fast you plan on running ??:confused:

thanks for the feedback twinrats and grumpy, i would love to hit a high 9" (
9.89-9.99 ) anything in the 9's would be great for me. I don't have a trans-brake but i have thought about installing one. i have heard both good and bad about aluminum, but it has worked for some but not others. I don't take her to the track much , maybe 3 times a year. all i'm really looking for is a high 9 run, but i understand it's not that easy. i wish she would run like melissa's gn. i just want to make sure that i spend the money once. thanks again grumpy and twinrats.

I would avoid an aluminum driveshaft if you plan on mid 1.40's or faster 60's and your car is over 3300 lbs. Get a nice steel one. Your not saving much weight with the aluminum shaft. You are going to need a lot more to reliably run 9's. Trans needs some billet parts for sure.

thanks bison,

i have been leaning torwards a godd steel driveshaft, the tranny does have a billet servo, 10 vain pump, art carr shift kit and some heavy duty stuff , i can,t remember. what else do you think the tranny should have :confused:

thanks again

We just had a customer in our dealerships service department that had us install a carbon fiber driveshaft on his LS1 Camaro. It was a very sweet piece rated up to 2500 horsepower. I don't know if they had an application for a GN but I'd certainly look into it. For his camaro it was around $600 including the u-joints but damn it was cool!

Check out Mark Williams driveshafts they are very good. F-body carbonfiber
driveshafts are closer to $900 than $600 when purchased new .

I ordered a 3 inch chrome moly from Strange Eng. It was very reasonably priced and after telling the guy how far I wanted to take the car he set me up with the right driveshaft. It wasnt the most expensive one either. I got the 1350 Ujoints and pinion yolk to go with it. I think it might have been $350 or so. Very pleased. Highly recommended.:smile: