What shifter positon do you start in?

bishir

Serenity Now
Drive, 2, 1 ??? I received my best times starting in 1 and shifting, but I only tried a start in Drive once.

Thanks,

James

yeah im busy looking at knock, plus the shifter does not go to first, is that a normal thing?

I would definatly recommend a shift light. I have gotten my best times when leaving the car in 2 and then shifting into 3 when the RPM start to get too high. Bad thing is if you forget to shift, like I once did :eek: , and hit the rev limiter, it could be ugly. Thank god nothing happened to me and I won't be shifting anymore without a shift light. :eek:

My car won't go into 1 either! It's never really bothered me enough to want to fix it, but now that I see that I'm not alone I start to think.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Probably because you have a bigger cam and can run a few more rpms. For a stock car it makes zero sense

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Probably because you have a bigger cam and can run a few more rpms. For a stock car it makes zero sense

Now that makes sense.

After I put the cam in, the car pulls way harder at the top of each gear than with the stock cam.

It's because of the ported irons. If you increase the airflow capability of the engine, then you raise the hp and tq peak and can shift at a higher rpm

Re: ....maybe, maybe not!

Originally posted by Bmason
I say try it each way and go with whichever one works best.

But get a shift light. :eek: :eek: :eek:
:D

Bobby, what RPM's do you shift at from 2 to 3.
:cool:

Well guys, I'm headed back to the track tonight. I'll let you know what works the best this time. I'm going to start in D and if I fail to better my times then I'm going back to the 1-2 start. I should get better times with the temps in the low 60s.

James:p

Well, my car runs best starting in "2"and shifting into "D." I ran a personal best time of 8.695 @ 80.30 mph tonight. My best run starting in "D" was an 8.90. My 60 foots are still just above 2 sec. My car is mostly stock so that can be expected.

Thanks for the responses,

James

In the 1/8 mile put it in OD and forget about it. There are too many important things to worry about like boost and Knock to be worrying about when to shift.

Originally posted by UNGN
In the 1/8 mile put it in OD and forget about it.

I'm pretty sure that is a type-0 by UNGN. Nobody ever races their car in Over drive.

Nice times! Did you go to the track in Panama City? How is it? How far of a drive is it from Tallahassee?

Bobby, I think I'll be putting in a 5.6 pill in the light myself. How high can you go before hitting the rev-limiter?

:cool:

Originally posted by Turbojorge
I'm pretty sure that is a type-0 by UNGN. Nobody ever races their car in Over drive.

No typo. In the 1/8th mile a relatively stock TR won't see 95 mph so there is no danger of it actually shifting into OD during a run.

Thats the bad deal about "shifting it yourself" out of 2nd. You can accidently put it into OD from 2 very easily. If you do and are running 1/4 mile IT WILL shift into OD before the traps (unless your car is pathetically slow) and that will ruin your run as much as shifting early or late or accidentally shifting into neutral will.

To sum up, in the 1/4 mile, put the car in drive and leave it there until you go through the traps, then shift to OD.

In the 1/8 mile, put the car in OD and forget about it.

I went to Emerald Coast Dragway in Holt, Florida. I think it's the one you're referring to in PC. I'm not sure how far it is from you but it takes me about 30mins to get there from Pensacola. It is by far the nicest 1.8th mile track I've ever been to. As far as overdrive, I get knock readings on my scanmaster when I'm in Overdrive, but they go away in Drive. It can be taking off, starting from 30mph, whatever. Weird...

Take care,

James

Originally posted by UNGN

In the 1/8 mile, put the car in OD and forget about it.

You will start to widen out and stretch the bands in the tranny if you race the car in OD!!! Believe me! That 1st to 2nd shift in OD isn't as tight as it should be!!!

I don't know how to explain it in writting.

Will someone get Bruce (WH1) or Laz in here.

No flames.

Bishir, Thanks for the info. Do many TR's show up to race their?