What RPM should I be at 65 MPH and 70 MPM

V6Turbo

Hi Folks,

Just making sure my tranny is not messing up...but it seems my RPM is high on the Freeway. I get the following:

65 MPH=2000 RPM
70 MPH=2800 RPM

Are these normal? I'm thinking it is normal and just not used to my other cards which have plenty of overdrive.

Thx Virgil

the rpm at 65 you state was 2000 and thats about right for 2004r in OD locked with a 26" tire and 3.42 gears

but at 70 you claim 2800 makes no sense unless you were downshifted to drive (1:1)
2800 rpm locked up in OD (.67) on a 26" (stock) tire with 3.42gears you should be at 95mph

what are you using for a tach and what do you have for trans/wheel/ rear /converter

I get 2,000 rpm at 60-65 mph, depends on if uphill level or downhill angle of road i am driving on. I get 2100-2200 rpm when i'm at 70-75mph. 3.42 rear gear, factory gear ratio's and still have a lockup converter. maybe you don't have a lockup converter, shouldn't be turning almost 3k rpm in 4th at 70ish mph in 4th gear cruising along.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Tried it again on the freeway.

I now get about 2200 RPM almost flat on the freeway at 75 MPH. I was originally using my VDO analog tach and now checked using my scanmaster. They both seemed to be correlated with each other. I guess I must have read it incorrectly during the up and down drive in the morning.

Questions:
1. How will I know if I have a lock up converter?
2. What RPM should I be at 85 MPH...assuming relatively flat driving condition.

Thanks in advance.

My vdo is not accurate in my 87x's Avc dash..reads high almost 1100 now and then

Regarding question number 1, at hwy speed with foot on gas, tap the brake with your left foot just a smidgeon. This will unlock the converter and your rpm's will increase a hundred or two. Then the rpm's will go back to where they were when the converter locks again. Can't help you with question 2 off the top of my head.

I believe i was hitting 85mph around 2400-2700 rpm range it might of been between 2350 and 2650ish honestly, i have 225 55zr16 tires mounted on 16x8 gta rims all the way around. The next time i get a chance to go 85mph crusing, i'll see what the scanmaster showed for rpm's at that speed.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks Folks...

Based on the info the board members have provided, My GN's RPM vs Speed seems normal.

Thanks Again!!