What rear drive tranny's will mount to a Series II

BooBoo231cu

Hello everyone! I am becoming interested in these SC motors and their capabilities. If I wanted to put one in a rear drive car, what would it take? Someone mentioned somthing about a computer controlled transmision. Can this be bypassed? What kinda trans can handle the power of this engine(I know the torque is less than a TR)? Any help would be great. This is my second post here. I have been on TurboBuicks.com for a little while now. I do like the fact that this board has a Series II section . TurboBuick"s".com will always be my home though.:D

All series 2 3800 use the same bellhousing bolt pattern as 60 degree engines like the 2.8, 3.1. It would be best to get it from a camaro with a 3800 because u know it will work. U can gert either the manual or auto, but the auto it actually stronger. With the auto, u might need the computer from the rwd camaro to make it work, not sure. Using the camaro computer would probalably work alright eventhought it is not set up for a supercharger.

Thank you for the reply! I've seen how cheap these motors go for , and now that there is an intercooler out for them, tuneability will be even better. I would like to put this engine in a 69 nova. If money grew on tree's it would have been done yesterday. I am just dreaming, but would like as much info as possible. I am not a mechanic, so is there anything else you could tell me about the trans and how the computer from a camaro could be used in conjuction with the supercharged engine. Would having a V6 Camaro transmission slow the car down? What year Camaro are we talkin here? 80's, 90's or the newer version? Thanks again!:confused:

probably a 96' on up, im assuming a 4L60E would do the trick, but i dont know much about those transmissions or if theyre even used in base model camaros/firebirds.

yes, the camaro transmission is a 4L60E and is found behind the 3800 in 96 and up. It will hold the power of the supercharged engine without a problem, it is the same tranny that is used behind the ls1, just a different bellhousing pattern. I am really not sure what computer u would use. Maybe the fwd one could control the shift of the rwd tranny.

These massage boards can answer alot of your questions.

Grand Prix
Firebird