What parts can I use from an 81 Regal on my 87 GN?

deputydawg

I have looked and looked and I cannot find any information on what body parts are interchangeable. I have an 87 GN that needs some donor parts to fix the body. I have located an 81 Regal without any rust fairly affordable. Are the quarter panels interchangeable? I know the front clip is different, but what about the windows and rear wheel houses?

As far as body parts they are the same. The only thing different between the two are the grille and header panel along with the taillamps. Sheetmetal is the same.

how far back

How far back can I go for donor sheet metal? What are the years that are interchangeable?

`81 to `87 Regal 2 door sheetmetal and glass are all the same dimensions as Eric stated. Totally different bodies prior to `81 (some glass fits but the sheetmetal will not). That being said, I installed an `81 right front fender on my `87 GN (eliminated the hole for the radio antenna) and fits perfectly.

HTH - Jimmy

Awesome..

Thanks for the info....never thought about swapping the front fender ( was just going to weld up the antenna hole on mine), but a direct swap sounds much easier.:biggrin:

Hey man how's the car going? My car is about to go down while I have the transmission rebuilt... I was hoping to get some new times before I put it away, but it does not feel like cooperating. I went out to sealy saturday night and my TV/Detent cable decided to crap out... came out of adjustment some how and then got stuck that way... strange night for sure.

it is in a million pieces...

I have the most recent pictures on my car domain link. It seems like the deeper we dig, the more stuff we find. At this rate I may have been better off finding another car- but in the end it will be like new from top to bottom. I guess the best way to look at it is that at least it doesn't have any rust and it has a strong motor- bent metal can be straightened.

I may be going to pick up a running 81 N/A regal this weekend to use as a donor for body parts....starting to feel like Frankenstien (the aluminium bumpers from one car, the quarter panel from another, the wheelhouse from another and now maybe a fender (minus the antenna hole) from another....can't wait to scream "It's Alive!"

Yea, I picked up an 82 or 83 to use the quarter panel and A pillar to repair wreck damage to my totaled 86 GN. I've had several friends and a couple of body shops tell me that the damage is repairable. Now if I can just get the time and money to get the repair done.:rolleyes:
John

Ahaha I know the feeling... My bike went through that phase this year, but it's finally all back together(for now)... Seems like "projects" are never totally done :rolleyes:

You still planning on the air ride?