What oil pressure?

brisbon

Im running a 60lb spring in my oil pump and im wondering if a 40lb would be fine. I switched from 15w40 to 5w20 and now my v/c's are filling up to the point where oil is getting by the valve seals. So, im thinking of going with 20w50 and using a 40 lb spring. Any input?

40lb spring , maybe for a na 2bbl,
40 spring is fine for idle to 4k but what about WOT when that spring opens and the oil goes back to the pan rather than to your bearings
are you comfortable running 40psi at over 5krpm ? I'm not

btw 5-20 may be fine for 0degree and below in winter but not summer , flip down your visor and see what the recommended viscosity is , its not 5-20 and if your current bearing clearances are looser than factory (.0015) you'll want to run a higher viscosity than what was factory recommended

40 spring is fine for idle to 4k but what about WOT when that spring opens and the oil goes back to the pan rather than to your bearings

btw 5-20 may be fine for 0degree and below in winter but not summer , flip down your visor and see what the recommended viscosity is , its not 5-20 and if your current bearing clearances are looser than factory (.0015) you'll want to run a higher viscosity than what was factory recommended
What weight would you run in 98 degree Texas heat?

A first and I completely agree

This is the first and most common sense post I've seen on oil pressure. All anyone needs to know in a nut shell.

What color spring is needed? I need to check mine this weekend. I'm not sure what I have.

Count the coils on the spring. More there are the higher it is. I think it should be around 20 but not 100% sure unless I start counting some.

why guess ?

here
the 60 should be fine unless your build can support 7k rpm

Thanks guys. I'm not really worried at the moment. The cars got 54k and I recently installed a new OEM cover and blueprinted pump assm. from Weber. It idles at 10 psi with 10w30 and biggie filter adapter in 95 degree temps. I just thought maybe I could bump it up 5lbs at idle or so with a different spring.

Why are you caught up in idle PSI? Just curious. Idle PSI doesn't mean squat.

As long as the engine has 10 PSI/1,000 RPM when hot, who cares. Our engines idle at what.. 750-800 RPM. 10PSI is more than enough idle oil pressure.

Oil volume is more important than oil pressure. Oil pressure is nothing more than the resistance of flow within the engine.

Why are you caught up in idle PSI? Just curious. Idle PSI doesn't mean squat.

As long as the engine has 10 PSI/1,000 RPM when hot, who cares. Our engines idle at what.. 750-800 RPM. 10PSI is more than enough idle oil pressure.

Oil volume is more important than oil pressure. Oil pressure is nothing more than the resistance of flow within the engine.
Thats the answer I'm looking for.:cool: