What now? 200 4r problems, of course

counterman

I just had a local shop rebuild the BRF 200 4r in my 87, and I cannot seem to get this thing to work right. I am aggravated because I tossed in lots of goodies from CK and PTS, amongst others, and it is behaving poorly. It is an original 56k mile unit that was flairing on the shifts pre rebuild. The unit holds 1st gear to about 4k at light throttle, and shifts when I lift slightly at that rpm. The shift is strong with no slip, but is late, and goes 2-3 immediately. It will not pick up od, and will downshift back to 2nd early on when the throttle is lifted. The car will stay in 2nd as you slow to a stop, and chugs as a result. I get first when I pull it back manually to low 1, and the trans idles and drives out ok in first. I am aggravated because I do not want to waste the parts I already have in the unit, but I feel a pro rebuild coming on. I should have done this one myself, and I would have been no worse for my efforts at this point. So, what are your thoughts? TV settings don't bother it much. Are we thinking valve body, or hard parts issue with a sprinkling of improper assembly? Thanks, Counterman.

Maybe a TCC problem? If its chugging on deceleration its not unlocking. Stuck TCC valve, grounded TCC circuit, or bad TCC solenoid. If you not getting a 2-1 kickdown at minimum TV the line pressure is over 90 psi. Usually backing the TV cable off one or two clicks will solve that unless something else is wrong. Maybe the VB had another shift kit in it previously that is causing other issues. Is it a stock or CK seperator plate? Ive seen problems with other plates.

Bison, this was a stocker prior to the rebuild. I've owned the car since 93, and bougth it with 49k on it. It has had a VERY checkered past, as it was a seized car that was being used by our local drug stikeforce after being involved in a murder investigation. It was stone stock when I got it. The tranny was flairing before at wot, but had great drivability. My tranny guy is locally known for his talents with the 3speed uniits, and runs a 200c in his race car. Now, it does not slip, but has the improper shift patterns noted. I floored it at about 30mph in 3rd, and it spooled up without downshifting for a few seconds. It then downshifted back into 2nd, but at too high a speed. The motor revved to the limiter in 2nd, and I let off of course. I am disgusted with the whole thing. The nearest guru is Century Trans over in Texas, and I may tote the whole car over to Mike if I cannot straighten this thing out, but he is 5 hours away. I live in southern Louisiana and do not know of anyone qualified/closer. Thanks, Counterman.

No shift kit. We used the stock valve body and plates. He has been none too eager to revisit this transmission as he is crazy busy, and, hey, he already has my money! I am not expecting a remedy to come from my local guy. He was evidently not that familiar with these transmissions in performance applications. He basically did a bench rebuild for me for $300 labor with me supplying the parts. I used the billet input shaft and the hardened stator, plus a nice kit from Macko Distributing. Counterman.

is there any chance its shifting 1-3 and then going into 4th. if so he may have missed the band with the band apply piston. just a thought. easy fix!

I hadn't thought about that as a possibility. I plan on another round of test and tune this weekend, weather permitting. Thanks, Counterman.

I hadn't thought about that as a possibility. I plan on another round of test and tune this weekend, weather permitting. Thanks, Counterman.
go for a ride on the street. put shifter in 2nd and bring rpm's up to shifting point, if it does not shift then put shifter in 3rd. if it shifts quit driving it and call me i'll tell you how to fix it. its easy! you will just need to drop the pan and take the snap ring out of the servo piston. Len 702 434 2991

Try calling Vince Janis at Janis Transmissions. I know it's not very close to you but he'll work with you over the phone and is one of the best TR transmission rebuilders anywhere. His number is 330-753-6609 in Barberton Ohio.