What Martial Arts would you suggest for a 9 year old?

Little6pack

I want to get my 9 year old into something that will teach him defense/offense, respect, patience, and more.

He is more of a lightweight compared to the heavy bruisers in his school. He reminds me of the skinny kids of the 70"s He is the odd kid out these days.
Use to be the other way years ago.

Is 9 a good age to start?

What do I look for at a school/instructor ?

Also after time how do I gauge he would be getting something out of it since I am no expert?

Well since all fights end up on the ground, have him watch some MMA with ya then he will see that Jujitsu and Judo is not that boring after all

jiu-jitsu, no gi grappling. if you can get him into a good kids program, he will never have to worry about getting beat up or picked on. any karate, tae kwon do, krav maga, jeet kune do school is going to take ur money, give ur kid false confidence and honestly make him less capable of defending himself. theres a few very good mma school in new hampshire that i would think offer a kids grappling/mma program. try the Renzo Gracie affiliate school. Also depending on where ur located in nh it may be worth it for you to bring him down to Rockland mass on sunday mornings. My coach runs an amazing kids class and you will get an idea of the things he should be learning should you bring him to another school. Just not this sunday, they are in canada for the WEC.

Sweep the leg!
You know Mark started at 5 with Kempo style and finished at Junior Black Belt. That's a long hall. I don't see Ben sticking at it too long so find some promotion of local school and have at it. Most kids tire of it since it's alot of work and remembering forms. They only stick to it if they really want to. If you make them they'll hate even more. Don't worry about the fatties at school, they can't run.:wink:

I took my oldest (now 21) to judo classes at the local YMCA which had a great judo instructor 10 years ago.

At the end it was funny to see a string-bean able to wrestle around other kids.
He then went on to body building but I had to wack the steroid thought out of his head! :eek:

Sweep the leg!
Don't worry about the fatties at school, they can't run.:wink:

Well I know forrest Ben can run like the wind but sometimes you need to stand your ground.

I watched him run a 1 mile race. Dam he wasn't even winded, came in top 20 and he has no concept of winning. that really PIZZES me off

jiu-jitsu, no gi grappling. if you can get him into a good kids program, he will never have to worry about getting beat up or picked on. any karate, tae kwon do, krav maga, jeet kune do school is going to take ur money, give ur kid false confidence and honestly make him less capable of defending himself. theres a few very good mma school in new hampshire that i would think offer a kids grappling/mma program. try the Renzo Gracie affiliate school. Also depending on where ur located in nh it may be worth it for you to bring him down to Rockland mass on sunday mornings. My coach runs an amazing kids class and you will get an idea of the things he should be learning should you bring him to another school. Just not this sunday, they are in canada for the WEC.

Hmm interesting advice thanks.

Bjj!

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu! I've been doing it for a few years now. I wish I started younger. Here's some reasons to start him now.

1. A great self defense strategy since a majority of fights end up on the ground
2. Taps into kids play/wrestle drive. He will pick it up quick.
3. Designed for the smaller opponent to defeat a larger opponent. It was born out of the fact that Helio Gracie was 130lbs and couldn't beat his brothers in japanese jiu jitsu. Once you start rolling, you will quickly realize that technique trumps muscle
4. Teaches patience. You have to control your breathing and go from a to b, b to c, to submit someone. People start off going 100% and gas out. You quickly learn to use strategy and out think your opponent.
5. It will be a great foundation if he's starts wrestling in high school.

There are many fly by night teachers and schools in all marital arts. I would recommend and Gracie affiliated school. I'm a little biased as I'm Gracie Barra affiliated.

Check out a NAGA tournament. They're held all around the country and you'll see everyone from 5 year olds to 60 year olds rolling. Trust me, start him rolling and you'll never regret it. Heck, I'll bet you'll be in there with him after a while. It's addicting!:biggrin:

Kempo is a good start at his age then move on to some sort of ground fighting. There are many different styles that work.

the best thing to teach a kid is how to do kid things.
beyond that, teach them to fight with their brains instead of their fists. i got out of a lot of stupid situations as a kid by making the kid that was coming after me look stupid in front of the people they were trying to impress.

Here's an off the wall one for you to think about, Aikido. It is a purely defensive art, it teaches one focus and it allows children to naturally do what kids do....roll around on the ground. No punches, only throws and joint manipulation, so when he has to whoop some azz, it leaves no marks

My nephew, sister, and brother-in-law all go here My nephew is six, and loves it. They do a great job with kids (my 5 year old has gone several times) and have a VERY good MMA training program with several students going pro.

Both of my boys take Kenpo, A friend of mine teaches them, he is a 4th degree black belt. It is a mixture of several martial arts including jeet kun do and kung fu. Great for self defense. My oldest is also taking Jiu Jitsu and boxing. He has his first MMA fight tonight, hope he does well, he is a heavyweight. Both of my boy's are wrestlers and did this from little league through high school, (never thought I would be interested in wrestling but it is awesome and has come in handy for them on the street a few times:eek:) My youngest wrestles for Mizzou, and that is alot of fun, can't wait for wrestling season to start.

Both of my boys take Kenpo, A friend of mine teaches them, he is a 4th degree black belt. It is a mixture of several martial arts including jeet kun do and kung fu. Great for self defense. My oldest is also taking Jiu Jitsu and boxing. He has his first MMA fight tonight, hope he does well, he is a heavyweight. Both of my boy's are wrestlers and did this from little league through high school, (never thought I would be interested in wrestling but it is awesome and has come in handy for them on the street a few times:eek:) My youngest wrestles for Mizzou, and that is alot of fun, can't wait for wrestling season to start.

Best of luck to your son tonight!

Best of luck to your son tonight!

Thanks John, I can't go because of work but I am a little nervous about it as any parent would be. I have learned however to never under estimate his abilities as I have seen him pull off some great upsets in his wrestling career. He went undefeated his senior year of wrestling @ 215lbs until his final match in districs and he lost in double overtime. In reality there is always someone who can kick your behind, but I wish him the best.

Kempo is a good start at his age then move on to some sort of ground fighting. There are many different styles that work.

Kara Ho Kempo is the way to go if you are going towards Kempo! Its a "street fighting version". American Kempo is more tournament fighting and not as effective on the street. If the school offers classes that get you a blackbelt quicker.........Walk away fast!!! They are in it for the money!

Talk to the teacher and check him out carefully!!!

My nephew, sister, and brother-in-law all go here My nephew is six, and loves it. They do a great job with kids (my 5 year old has gone several times) and have a VERY good MMA training program with several students going pro.

58 Range Road
Windham, NH 03087

This is close have you been to that location?

Keep us posted & post some photos

Kara Ho Kempo is the way to go if you are going towards Kempo! Its a "street fighting version". American Kempo is more tournament fighting and not as effective on the street. If the school offers classes that get you a blackbelt quicker.........Walk away fast!!! They are in it for the money!

Talk to the teacher and check him out carefully!!!

Weeze they let you out of the POLITICAL section? :eek: :)

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Dirty Boxing and common sense!

First, you obviously want to teach him fighting is wrong unless he is protecting himself. Personally, I like BJJ. But, it might be difficult to set up a throw or counter or apply a submission in a crowded area (bar,concert,playground yada yada). Especially when the fight could be broken up in less than 45 seconds. Boxing, Dirty Boxing is great!

Also, size can matter. Sometimes skill can not be enough if your opponent is bigger, crazier and has an unorthodox fighting style. Learning other ways to defend yourself on the street is mandatory, like ... breaking an antenna's off a vehicle and slicing... grab a tree branch and swinging.. biting:eek:. etc.

I am not trying to be funny or sound crazy. I know this thread was posted for a young gentlemen. BUT you do not want him to have a false sense of security! Kids now a days are a lot meaner, have a don't care attitude and more street savvy then when I was young. Good day Sir.