What MAF and LV8 values should I see with Translator + and Extender chip?

Bob Avellar

Just in the beginning stages of tuning with the T+ and extender chip. At the moment I have only limited road access for allowing the ECM to fully learn everything in (car not completed yet). But, I am trying to dial in my base settings at least at idle. I have a 3" MAF from an Alero and am using 36lb/hr injectors. This is an 86GN. These are my switch settings:
Sw1 on
sw2 on
Sw3 off
sw4 off
MAF Base position 3
All others position 0
Position 3 on the MAF base is for 3" MAF and the way I read the instructions I interperet it that 3 is the leanest setting for the 3" Mafs. -----------Is that correct?
Next question: What #s should I see for MAF on Directscan as normal? Is it 1/2 of a stock MAF, which is 4-7 ? In other words should I see 2-4 MAF as normal?
What should I see as a normal LV8 ? A stock MAF is usually 30-40. Should I see 15-20 ?
If I switched the MAF base switch to position 2 which is for a 3 1/2" MAF would this position produce a leaner condition than position 3? Does anyone run a 3" MAF and use a setting for a 3 1/2" MAF ? Is that idea even acceptable? Just wondering if I am still too rich at position 3 if it is acceptable to go to a lower switch position to get the base setting closer to dead on or if I should not go below that setting and dial the rest in by the programming modes?????? Just trying to understand how it all works so I can get to the most optimum settings over the entire range of loads and rpm. What is the best way to go about this?
On a related issue, I am unclear on how to program positions 8-11 in the block learns. It says lights on (Calpak out). I originally thought all you had to do to program those blocks was to put the lights on. You DO have to take out the calpack???? What does the power from the light connection actually do?
I'm sorry for so many questions but I just like to know what is actually going on when I am changing stuff. I like to be able to see the big picture when I play with stuff like this because not only is it interesting but I just need to see the whole picture to have the right perspectrive. This is great stuff that's been developed for these cars and I commend Bob B on his efforts and the quality of the product.

Originally posted by Bob Avellar
Just in the beginning stages of tuning with the T+ and extender chip. At the moment I have only limited road access for allowing the ECM to fully learn everything in (car not completed yet). But, I am trying to dial in my base settings at least at idle. I have a 3" MAF from an Alero and am using 36lb/hr injectors. This is an 86GN. These are my switch settings:
Sw1 on
sw2 on
Sw3 off
sw4 off
MAF Base position 3
All others position 0
Position 3 on the MAF base is for 3" MAF and the way I read the instructions I interperet it that 3 is the leanest setting for the 3" Mafs. -----------Is that correct?
Next question: What #s should I see for MAF on Directscan as normal? Is it 1/2 of a stock MAF, which is 4-7 ? In other words should I see 2-4 MAF as normal?
What should I see as a normal LV8 ? A stock MAF is usually 30-40. Should I see 15-20 ?
If I switched the MAF base switch to position 2 which is for a 3 1/2" MAF would this position produce a leaner condition than position 3? Does anyone run a 3" MAF and use a setting for a 3 1/2" MAF ? Is that idea even acceptable? Just wondering if I am still too rich at position 3 if it is acceptable to go to a lower switch position to get the base setting closer to dead on or if I should not go below that setting and dial the rest in by the programming modes?????? Just trying to understand how it all works so I can get to the most optimum settings over the entire range of loads and rpm. What is the best way to go about this?
On a related issue, I am unclear on how to program positions 8-11 in the block learns. It says lights on (Calpak out). I originally thought all you had to do to program those blocks was to put the lights on. You DO have to take out the calpack???? What does the power from the light connection actually do?
I'm sorry for so many questions but I just like to know what is actually going on when I am changing stuff. I like to be able to see the big picture when I play with stuff like this because not only is it interesting but I just need to see the whole picture to have the right perspectrive. This is great stuff that's been developed for these cars and I commend Bob B on his efforts and the quality of the product.

Did you get the extra wire and connectors with your extender? By installing that, turning the lights on will select parameters 8-11
(the calpak thing works if you haven't installed the wire.)

Base 3,4,5 are for the 3" sensor. 4 is richer idle, 5 is leaner idle
Base 0,1,2 are for the 3.5" sensor.

MAF will read half, LV8 will read about 2/3.

Bob

hanks Bob. You da man. Someone on the other board said he uses a 3 1/2" setting for his 3" MAF because he found it ran better? Any reason why that might happen? Is that a bad thing to do? Thanks again for all your great stuff for the Buick community!!!!:confused:

I think I posted there.......

If your chip is 'lean' the mis-setting the Translator can compensate.....

Extenders have the injector size feature (parameter 11) for adjusting the blms....

Bob

Ok, I think I'm beginning to catch on. I do have the wire attached to the light circuit so that is a nice convenience. I can't wait to actually start playing with this stuff. I was going to program a few parameters today but I didn't have my power cord for the laptop with me (dead laptop battery). Its running closed loop idle and it seems pretty good. The turbo spools REAL QUICK compared to the chip I was running before. I can't drive over about 40-45 mph now cause I have no bumpers, hood, trunk, windows in doors, so I am only driving around the school where I work. I gave it some gas at around 40-45 the other day and it was instantly sideways. No more waiting for boost to rise. Loking forward to warmer weather and completing the resto. Thanks again.