what kinda power can I expect ?

koch186

I'm just getting done with my engine rebuild. I bored 20 over. Cut crank down. New pistons 206 roller cam. Stock heads ported and polished. New rods. Harland sharp roller rockers. 49 turbo. Bigger injectors.bigger fuel pump. Down pipe.alky kit a few more bolt ons. Just trying to get an idea of how much boost to run and what kind of performance I can expect. I have a local Gn guy doing final tuning. Thanks.

You think so ? I'm already dumping a ton of money into this build. What turbo do you suggest ?

I agree. Turbo might be the limiting factor. My build is very similar. Im at around 600 rear wheel horsepower.

What turbo are you running ,Stahl,and boost ? Trying to do it right while its in pieces. I'm gonna be at 9.2 to 1 compression.

You need more turbo. Depending on how good the heads are and other things like the tune I've seen 600-650whp with boost around 30psi on similar. You will need a good intercooler and the converter slip will need to be around 5% out the back of third to get similar numbers. I've seen the same result with various turbos as long as they could support the mass flow. 66 p trim all the way to 70 q trim. All of them had PTC 9.5" converters

Last edited:
You need more turbo. Depending on how good the heads are and other things like the tune I've seen 600-650whp with boost around 30psi on similar. You will need a good intercooler and the converter slip will need to be around 5% out the back of third to get similar numbers. I've seen the same result with various turbos as long as they could support the mass flow. 66 p trim all the way to 70 q trim. All of them had PTC 9.5" converters

Dam I didnt think 600-650 whp was capable on ported irons. thats awsome news.. sorry to op.for off topic..

Dam I didnt think 600-650 whp was capable on ported irons. thats awsome news.. sorry to op.for off topic..
700whp is commonplace with 93/alky on iron heads these days. With more supporting parts and some rpm they will go 800whp. With common off the shelf iron heads and off the shelf cam and decent converter I always expect 600whp with boost in the mid 20's.

I like to think I did it right. Replace every internal component in the engine. Except crank just had it cleaned up. And stock heads. But they are cleaned up also. What turbo do you guys recomend I want a bad ass street car. That I can rely on.I'm not to concerned with 600 HP capable. Will it run good witg the the 49 I have already ?

A lot of guys are doing good with a CEA 6262 or 6266 on builds similar to yours...Were the heads just cleaned up a little or actually ported and opened up?? With either CEA turbo mentioned you should expect the bad ass street car your looking for capable of ten second 1/4 miles given everything is working as it should...What converter are you using??

The heads are ported and opened up I got a 206 comp cam in it and was told I can keep stock converter. I've been getting info from a lot of different people. But my buddy assembling my engine with me has done a few of the gns before. If a converter is needed. What one is preferred. I appreciate everyone's input it helps alot.

Is your trans well equipped to handle the extra power youre planning to throw at it? That seems to be the next weak link.you might want to think about.

The heads are ported and opened up I got a 206 comp cam in it and was told I can keep stock converter. I've been getting info from a lot of different people. But my buddy assembling my engine with me has done a few of the gns before. If a converter is needed. What one is preferred. I appreciate everyone's input it helps alot.
I would keep the stock converter if using the current turbo. It will have a lower slip % than other turbos and allow better track performance if launched with enough boost to get acceptable 60' times

I have an email into the guy at turbobuickperformance. For a shift kit. Thats in the very expensive budget for my build. Lol

They way money is with this build. The bigger turbo might be out of the budget. Unless I get some more side work. The 49 will have to do.