What kind of gas mileage do you get?

TABuickMike

Michael Tomaszewski Jr
Hey guys, I was wondering what other people are getting as far as gas mileage with their turbo Regals/GN's. I currently drive a PoS beat up '88 Skyhawk and am looking for a new car and would prefer to get a Regal. The only (minor) downside is how I drive about 50 miles a day to and from school and the Skyhawk gets 33-35 mpg whereas our T-Type only gets about 17-18 mpg (270ish miles to a 15ish gal fill and 90-95% of it is high way driving). I figure our T's mileage is really low for some reason but was still curious as to what others are getting on average and what some of the highs are.

Also anyone have any idea why I'd only be getting around 17-18 mpg highway and what to look for and what I could do to improve it?

Mike,

What chip are you running?
Getting one that has a lean cruise would help.
BTW I get similar numbers as you with 60lbs injectors driving like a grandma.
I would like to see my numbers improve as well.

Hey guys, I was wondering what other people are getting as far as gas mileage with their turbo Regals/GN's. I currently drive a PoS beat up '88 Skyhawk and am looking for a new car and would prefer to get a Regal. The only (minor) downside is how I drive about 50 miles a day to and from school and the Skyhawk gets 33-35 mpg whereas our T-Type only gets about 17-18 mpg (270ish miles to a 15ish gal fill and 90-95% of it is high way driving). I figure our T's mileage is really low for some reason but was still curious as to what others are getting on average and what some of the highs are.

Also anyone have any idea why I'd only be getting around 17-18 mpg highway and what to look for and what I could do to improve it?

I have the MaxEffort Mafless with 83# injectors and on the highway I have it leaned out to get me 25mpg. In town I am not sure since my foot will get into it on it's own ;) so I never check in town mileage. Maybe this is a one in a million shot but it does this consistantly.

With my combo, I always get about 20 mpg even though I jump on it once in a while :)

how old is your MAF sensor and injectors?

those were the 2 upgrades i did that seemed to improve mpg the most.

getting well over 20 on the highway now with new 60# injectors and a new lt1 maf.
i was probably getting even less than you were....

Gas mileage - whats that?

I usually get between 10 and 12 MPG. E85 and a TH400 do not work well for fuel economy.:biggrin:

I've never had a T with mileage that poor.

Both of my stock T's got 14-16 city/26-29hwy.

My present Limited with the 50# injectors gets 12-15 city/24-25 hwy (with a soft right foot).
Went all the way to Atlanta from G'ville (352 miles and only used just over 3/4 tank).

You have some issues to resolve or wear lighter shoes.

Mikey

Mike,

What chip are you running?
Getting one that has a lean cruise would help.
BTW I get similar numbers as you with 60lbs injectors driving like a grandma.
I would like to see my numbers improve as well.

I don't remember what chip is in there right now just from looking at it, I honestly don't think that its marked. We bought the car a few years ago as is so I know nothing about the chip in it

how old is your MAF sensor and injectors?

those were the 2 upgrades i did that seemed to improve mpg the most.

getting well over 20 on the highway now with new 60# injectors and a new lt1 maf.
i was probably getting even less than you were....

No idea how old the MAF and injectors are, they were on the car when we bought it and I don't know how long thy had been on it before that. I have run injector cleaner through the car, cleaned the MAF and replaced the spark plugs though, none seemed to make much of a difference. I'm wondering if the O2 sensor is bad because the exhaust smells really strong of fuel like the car is running way lean (would that be the O2 sensor reporting inaccurate into to the computer or just the chip?)

I've never had a T with mileage that poor.

Both of my stock T's got 14-16 city/26-29hwy.

My present Limited with the 50# injectors gets 12-15 city/24-25 hwy (with a soft right foot).
Went all the way to Atlanta from G'ville (352 miles and only used just over 3/4 tank).

You have some issues to resolve or wear lighter shoes.

Mikey

I've tried everything playing with my driving habits to get it to have better mileage, I've found that the best mileage I can get out of it is accelerating with the first light lit up on the boost gauge instead of taking it nice and slow etc.

I've also wondered what the MAF conversion that I see people talking about or mentioning is, LT1 or LS1 whichever it was I don't remember. What does it do and how does it work? And where could I find a chip that has a lean cruise?

My mileage is pretty similar to yours. Pretty close to stock '87 GN with 140,000+ miles.

With my very heavy foot feeding 800+hp mileage sucks. Especailly when its drinking 112 octane. Maybe 13mpg overall. Definitely over 20mpg on light highway cruise though. I had one about 8 years ago and it was about 9:1 with a small cam and stock converter. It got 30 mpg on its best cruise at about 60mph. Not the kind of car you want if you have a concern about economy. My daily driver is a Park Avenue with a 3800. My combined rarely drops below 25mpg. My wife and I drive the car 20k+/year Cheap on the used car market, very reliable, cheap to fix, and a lot nicer than the econo boxes that get similar or slightly better mileage. It will knock down 33mpg on a highway cruise no problem at 60mph. At 70-75 its still averaging over 30mpg. Its the cheapest cost per mile of any car ive owned. Including the cost of it i only have about $6700 into it total including preventative maintenance and have logged over 140k miles on it. I got it in the early summer of 05. So far its at about 15.6 cents per mile cost including the cost of fuel, all maintenance, and initial cost averaging 24mpg (low estimate on total fuel economy). Adding in insurance, registration fees, and emissions fees its still under 19 cents/mile. The fed mileage allowance is about 52 cents/mile if i recall correctly. So it cost about 1/3 of what a new mid size car costs based on the fed allowance. IMO the cars are way under rated as far as value per $ spent and reliability.

To` increase mileage the most the driver technique is the first thing that usually needs to be corrected. Next id look at reducing rolling resistance, keeping the water temp around 205*, converter locked, good oxygen sensor and a chip with an open loop lean cruise. Use the lightest synthetic oils you can find throughout the the drivetrain. Engine oil viscosity will waste a lot of power when its cold as well as excess drag in the rear from the gear oil. Injectors should be cleaned and flowed to equalize the volume injected. Use coatings on the tops of pistons, combustion chamber and on the valves. Use a zero gap ring and aim for 9.0-9.5:1 with iron heads. Keep the overlap to a minimum on the cam. Many things can be done to increase the thermal efficiency in the engine. Powder coat the outside of all exhaust pre O2 sensor to increase the heat retention. There are a couple places in the trans where resistance can be reduced quite a bit and easily if efficiency is the goal. Resistance throughout the drivetrain needs to be reduced under negative and positive power for optimization of mileage. The ones done for positive power resistance reduction will help at the strip too.

Fwiw my old nearly factory stock GN would get 24-25mpg on the highway. I havent had anything like that in 15 years

Im by no means worried about it, like I wont drive it because it isnt getting stellar mileage, I just figured it would get a little better on the highway. The previous owner screwed around with the car a little bit so I dont know what he's done Im just looking for an idea of what these cars can get because I know its possible to get decent economy out of the car and still have some nice rubber burnin performance. I was just curious as to what others have gotten. I doubt we'll ever go through the T that we have but if we get one I know I will and I'll work to get the bst of both worlds, just wanted to know what I could expect and whats possible (I don't jump on it too much when I'm driving to or from school, maybe around town but not on the highway where 80% of the miles will come from). I know the 3800 series gets high 20's mpg so I would think that's easily possible with these cars if the car and engine is built right and its tuned properly to be on the lean side when cruising.

Like Brian says, 20+ light footing it.... hitting the fun peddle regularly look out:biggrin:

Ok cool, if others are getting 20+ Im sure I can get close to 30 with it then, I gotta couple ideas :)

Also if anyone knows of a gray T-Type (with bucket seats and a console) or GN within a 400-500 mile radius of Phoenix or San Diego for under 7-8k leme know, I'm lookin for one ;)

My daily driver is a Park Avenue with a 3800. My combined rarely drops below 25mpg. My wife and I drive the car 20k+/year Cheap on the used car market, very reliable, cheap to fix, and a lot nicer than the econo boxes that get similar or slightly better mileage. It will knock down 33mpg on a highway cruise no problem at 60mph. At 70-75 its still averaging over 30mpg. Its the cheapest cost per mile of any car ive owned.

I'm with you.

My 95 LT-1 Caddy Fleetwood does 15-17 city and 25-26 hwy. Paid $5900 with 53K miles.
Our 90 Lincoln Town car got as high as 18 city and 24-26 hwy. A gift from Dad after he put 100K on it. Drove that car to 200K and only put in a water pump, alternator, front A-arm bushings and timing set plus maintenance items.

I will never own an econobox.

Mikey