What kind of career am I looking at?

69BluDevil

I'm thinking about what career path I want to take right now, and it's a very hard decision. I KNOW I want to do something related to cars, and I have for many years. Right now I'm thinking about going to Universal Technical Institute. (exactly where at depends on who I pick for a company I want to work for) If I take one of the training programs for, say, Ford, BMW, Porsche, or one of the many others, what kind of pay am I looking at? I don't want to be super rich or anything, and I know this won't get me there anyways, I just want to be able to support my future family, and have enough money to do the things I like. (build cars) Is this going to allow that, or is this more of a low-paying job? Also, Is the pay going to differ extraordinarily from say Ford to Mercedes or Porsche? ANY kind of suggestions, help, etc would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Also, mechanical engineering has been suggested to me a few times. Here is what my response was on another forum...

"I'm glad you brought that up. My school counselor also recommended that to me. This may sound stupid, but I have to find out sometime and I can't find a good description on the internet. What kind of work does a mechanical engineer do? Would I go to work for a car company? (obviously higher up than working in a dealership...) I was going to ask earlier, but it was kind of embarassing that I don't know what one of my potential careers even was."

Hehe. So, if someone could explain mechanical engineering to me, that would be great. ;) Thanks!

I would say if you did one of the German car programs you are looking at more money than the American cars.

A friend of mine knows a guy who went through the program and is now the BMW tech at a local dealership. Yes he does make more money than the domestic guys, and yes it is enough to have a family and play with. Another one of my friends went to WYO TECH and is now at an audi school in KC. As for mechanical engeering.... i took some classes in that at the university of nebraska, and boy did it kick my ass. It is at least a 6 year program for a bachelor degree, and you really really really have to me into mathematics. Go to UTI:)

I'm in Mechanical Engineering now at Penn State. My academic advisor told me something like 70% of all ME students here graduate in 5 years or more. ME is a very long and rigorous program, and there's a ton of calculus and physics involved. On the plus side, I think the starting salary for ME grads at Penn Stats is something like $50k, and if you have good connections, it can be much more than that.