What is this part?

wb's87

willrock
I know this is a dumb question. I was trying to remove the wires going to this and I broke it. I have no idea what it is. I know it's a sensor.

TIA

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1392156469.153394.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1392156488.403692.jpg

Go on line and see if NAPA or others have it. If not, probably Kirbans or Highway Stars...

My bad--that is the cooling fan high temp overide sensor...$42.00 from Highway Stars...

The clip needs to be pinched to correctly remove it. You <might> be able to get it to stay on there, but it looks pretty messed up:(

Try a search on Rock Auto: PN 35946 $11.14 That should take some of the sting out!

edit: Mfg is Four Seasons

Try a search on Rock Auto: PN 35946 $11.14 That should take some of the sting out!

edit: Mfg is Four Seasons

I think maybe it was brittle. It broke really easy. I will check out Rock Auto.

Thanks again for all the help

Right. When the ECM commands low speed, you get high speed. By the time that switch gets on the clock to require high speed, the ECM would have already triggered it.

mine was removed before I bought my car and replaced with the sending unit for my VDO temp gauge

Last edited:
you could find a switch with a lower turn on temp if letting the car get up to 240+ degrees before the fan comes on doesn't appeal to you... it's just a common GM temp switch- every NAPA has an Echelin catalog behind the counter and hopefully a decent person behind the counter that knows how to find such things..

I'm going my memory here. and it's too cold to walk outside and look at my car.....

There are three temperature related things on the intake. One is a 3 wire that tells the ECM the temp, one is for the idiot light and the 1wire switch is for the high speed fan. On my car the hispeed fan switch is removed and the green/yellow wire is now triggered by a switch in my ashtray. It was on the DS facing up.

Next time squeeze the connector on the serations. That releases the barbs so you can remove the connector.