What is this noise?

bigballsbilly

Another one of those "what is this noise" thread. The noise IS there with the belt remived. What makes me think its not internal is that its kind of squeeky at times. Any ideas?

What were you doing just prior to when the noise started? Did you run it hard?
Last time I heard something like that ( SB Chevy) it was a spun rod bearing .

I had the timing cover off, had trouble priming it and ran it for a few seconds a couple times with no oil pressure. Then took it to Paul Miller who removed the cam sensor and primed it for me. I let it idle.for about ten minutes then drove about ten minutes before I started hearing the noise.

Same noise for me :mad: spun rod and 2 and 3 main bearing.. Dont run your engine stop...Check your oil filter asap I hope for you is not in the base...good luck

What was said, above^^^^^
In any case, it's time for the engine hoist to be put in service.
My $.02...The engine had some "issues" that were not apparent. Then, it was run w/o oil pressure, and the issues surfaced, BIG TIME.

Only other "test" you may make, B4 the hoist, is to pull the converter back, and be sure that's not an issue.
{Cracked/broken flex plate, etc.}

Sorry to hear...Sounds familiar!
Remember, the same guy that invented the engine hoist, also invented the Puick vsicks....Hoist sales were not good.

No, I never drove it with no oil pressure. I made the mistake of not priming it properly and idled it for a few seconds with no oil pressure.

What is your oil pressure? With a rod that bad it should be zero. Are your sure its not something loose like a intercooler fan or something under the timing cover? You said you just had that off.

What is your oil pressure? With a rod that bad it should be zero. Are your sure its not something loose like a intercooler fan or something under the timing cover? You said you just had that off.

Not with that squealing noise .. that's indicative of a bearing running no oil or scored badly

Oil pressure is ok beca use the idiot light for low oil pressure definitely works and it's not on now. I'm going to drop the pan wednsday and check.for sure.

Don't waste your time w/ the pan. Cut the filter open w/ a CLEAN cut, such as tin snips. I'm quite confident you'll find the missing brg there.:(