What is this and why??

I like my old school knock gauge easy to see during high speed passes in 5 years and 20-25 lbs of boost I have never had to replace head gaskets ! Any time it climbs to the last yellow I get off the throttle when they work they are pretty accurate of course there are variables with fuel delivery,octane,timing and boost it's a simple gauge that has saved my engine many times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So yours goes back down? Or do you reset it to green? Mine never Goes back down

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

well When I first got the car it was hooked up wrong and acted as your describing it has something to do with the gauge having power to it while the engine is cranking over if I remember correctly (down load the instructions to be sure )I don't think you want power to the gauge until the motor has started after I changed mine it goes to green ,if my tune is off or I've got some bad gas alky pump not working correctly or low, hard one two shift the gauge will react I try never to let it get into the red or course you could have a bad gauge or improper torque on the knock sensor it's like 14 ft. pounds I very rarely see a bad knock sensor but guess it could be possible

well When I first got the car it was hooked up wrong and acted as your describing it has something to do with the gauge having power to it while the engine is cranking over if I remember correctly (down load the instructions to be sure )I don't think you want power to the gauge until the motor has started after I changed mine it goes to green ,if my tune is off or I've got some bad gas alky pump not working correctly or low, hard one two shift the gauge will react I try never to let it get into the red or course you could have a bad gauge or improper torque on the knock sensor it's like 14 ft. pounds I very rarely see a bad knock sensor but guess it could be possible

Ok so it's supposed to be like the radio or anything other electrical accessories in the car? Like if you have the radio on while in the accessory position, and you go to start the car, the radio shuts off while the car cranks over. Yeah mine is on all the time and climbs while cranking.

Ok so it's supposed to be like the radio or anything other electrical accessories in the car? Like if you have the radio on while in the accessory position, and you go to start the car, the radio shuts off while the car cranks over. Yeah mine is on all the time and climbs while cranking.

Instructions for knock sensor are posted above in post #19...

Use a scan master for knock. Casper is a great company, however for me I think their knock gauge is not worth a kiss my ass!!!!

Start here.

Buy a ScanMaster and a wide band 02 sensor.

Then listen to the trusted guys on here.

For now, stop putting your foot into it until you have the proper diagnostic tools installed and at your disposal.

Failure to follow this advise most likely WILL result in a blown head gasket, at the very minimum.

Ask a bunch of us on here how we know...........

Last edited:
Start here.

Buy a ScanMaster and a wide band 02 sensor.

Then listen to the trusted guys on here.

For now, stop putting your foot into it until you have the proper diagnostic tools installed and at your disposal.

Failure to follow this advise most likely WILL result in a blown head gasket, at the very minimum.

Ask a bunch of us on here how we know...........

I'm getting a Scanmaster asap. Its on the top of my list. What I don't get is why the person who built this car didn't have one in the car the first place

Thanks to anyone who sent me the wiring instructions for this because I've actually now had time to read them and I can tell you it's wired wrong. I'll fix it ASAP but good Lord it's gonna take a while to get this rats nest straightened out

Attachments

• 1405998132219.jpg
    1405998132219.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

yes I believe that is correct.

I'm getting a Scanmaster asap. Its on the top of my list. What I don't get is why the person who built this car didn't have one in the car the first place

Some people are just stubborn and end up selling their cars to someone else who gets with the program and enjoys that other guys car ;)

Ive always had trouble with these gauges over the years with dancing lights and false knock.

Ive always had trouble with these gauges over the years with dancing lights and false knock.
I agree they are not perfect it's just easier for me to glance at the pillar gauge then to hunt the numbers on a scan master personal preference I'd say so far it's worked for me

He probley did they are a quick sale didn't think the car would bring anymore money with it in there so sold it before he sold the car?

He probley did they are a quick sale didn't think the car would bring anymore money with it in there so sold it before he sold the car?

I wouldn't doubt it. There's WAY too much stuff on my car for the thing to survive for very long without a scanmaster

Ok so I found the power for the gauge is just going straight into the fuse block, it's not spliced into a switched ground (pink with black stripe as the instructions say). And it DOES detect knock, I had the cars key turned on, and I tapped on the knock sensor while watching the gauge, for every tap it went up an LED. but It never went back down no matter how long I waited. So I'm gonna wire into a switched ground and see what happens.

I wouldn't count on this as your only line of defense against knock as suggested this is just one of several used in combination for best results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk