What Is The Worst Thing About Selling On Eb

Little6pack

Ok Sellers Lets Here Your Pet Peeves Or Rants About Selling Or Dealing With The Whole Ebay Process!

I Have A Couple But Will Add One So Others Post.

My #1 Pet Peeve Is Canadian Bidders Trying To Force Me To Ship Something To Them When I State Usa Only. The Extra Work Involved To Go To Post Office, wait In Long Line & Fill Those Goofy Customs Slips Out!

getting clocked by ebay AND paypal. They made the item category thing easier to use IMO, but the new site seems to suck in a way I can't put my finger on.

Ok Sellers Lets Here Your Pet Peeves Or Rants About Selling Or Dealing With The Whole Ebay Process!

My #1 Pet Peeve Is Canadian Bidders Trying To Force Me To Ship Something To Them When I State Usa Only. The Extra Work Involved To Go To Post Office, wait In Long Line & Fill Those Goofy Customs Slips Out!

your solution for Canadian bidders (in BIG BOLD print in your ad): "shipping to canada: $40" ... if they bid, then your time is paid! Most will not bid, if they do bid, ship it to them....

My biggest pieve is people who win an item then you never hear from them again. I had a guy win a car I put on ebay, he never returned my emails. After searching I seen he was bidding on 2 other cars. Needless to say if you leave someone like that negative feeback they will just leave negative in return. I think a buyer should only be allowed to leave feedback once he makes payment for the item.

I have always shipped to folks in Canada, i just usually leave the shipping price fixed on my items, and make a note if the item is going to be shipped, then send me more money or you wont get it.

My biggest pet peeve is people who get caught up in the moment, bid too high and its always someone hacked into their computer and made the bids.

Ive sold alot on ebay and most of it has been fine, its just that .9 % of the popluation that cant read fine print when its written in plain english.

BW

I got bit 2 weeks back when i bid on a laptop,(for car only)when your scrolling down main listings for laptops you will see it clearly marked for parts or repair.\

well it didnt have that so i clicked and went in, noticed i had 45 secs to bid so i did and won, then scrolled down the page to see it didnt have hard drive, no ram, no cord and no batt but yet the pic showed the laptop booted up.

i promptly emailed the bum and told him if he wanted to gripe i would glady fight it for missrep.

havent heard a thing.... yet

Just the fees keep going up... Notice how the pics are now tiny compared to what they were..if you want them bigger you have to pay more... So I just host them somewhere else and add links in the description...I'm sure they'll start not allowing links soon without paying more too....
Out of 50-60 things I've sold, I've had a non-payer I think twice.

You guys who have issues with shipping to Canada, all need to take a course taught by Quick6"n'-K.C. Bryan just shipped me a dual gauge pod,Casper's knock gauge,and a VDO boost gauge.Transaction was smooth as silk,shipping was fast and professional,with no problems,or added fees.My peeve is American sellers who neither understand the details involved in shipping to Canada,and don't want to learn.Glenn @NOS4GN is another vendor who knows how to ship to Canada effortlessly.I wanted to buy an 87 GN recall notice from a guy on Ebay a couple of weeks ago.He was afraid to ship to Canada.I told him to put it in an envelope throw a .92 cent stamp on it,charge me $5 for shipping and throw it in the mail box.How hard is that???? I have bought a multitude of Buick parts off Ebay.Experienced sellers have no problems,uneducatated sellers run the other way.Sorry if Ive touched a sensitive nerve with some of you.I am not here to bash you,honestly.I am aware that UPS,and their theiving brokerage fees,don't help.I once paid $28 in brokerage fees for a $20 bug deflector for my truck.I truly wish that before you complain about shipping to Canada,you ask Bryan,or Glen how to do this properly.Maybe I don't know about all the added effort of standing in line at the post office.However...If it cost more,I'll pay more.Again,I'm not looking to insult anyone who doesnt want to ship to Canada.It's your call.No one can force you to do what you don't want to do.I do know that there a lots of Canadian guys who would love to send there business your way.

You know. As a fellow Turbo Buick enthusuast that just happens to live in Canada, I just don't get some of this attitude from some of you guys down there. Most are great, probably 99%, but when I hear this it makes me puke. A large majority of us on these boards own and drive a car that is becoming harder to maintain and stay roadworthy. Availability and cost is becoming a large factor. You would think that alone would put us in some sort of fraternity or something. We are at a disadvantage up here with all the extra shipping charges and the lack of available parts locally. Willing to go the extra mile to help someone in the same hobby or interest should be a given. We as Canadians have to do exactly the same paperwork to send anything down there. I am happy to do it, and I have bought and sold hundreds of hard to find NOS and specialty interest parts to and from my fellow Buick brothers down there. You can be sure that if you ever need anything that I am selling, I have and will go out of my way to make sure you get it. No matter where you live, or if it means that I have to fill out a form. Because I understand the hassles of owning a Turbo Buick. P.S. I charge actual cost of shipping. Gouging postage is classless in my opinion.

Needless to say if you leave someone like that negative feeback they will just leave negative in return. I think a buyer should only be allowed to leave feedback once he makes payment for the item.

If they leave you negative feedback in return, contact eBay. That's called "retaliatory feedback". They can't give you a negative just because you gave one to them. There has to be a real reason behind it. I've had some jerk do that to me before and promptly had it removed once I explained it to eBay.

My biggest pieve is people who win an item then you never hear from them again. I had a guy win a car I put on ebay, he never returned my emails. After searching I seen he was bidding on 2 other cars. Needless to say if you leave someone like that negative feeback they will just leave negative in return. I think a buyer should only be allowed to leave feedback once he makes payment for the item.

This is what pisses me off too. I have bought several items and yet the sellers won't leave positive feedback until you the buyer do, why? If I have bought an item, paid for it on time within your specified specs, then leave me an F*ING positive feedback. It may be a week or two before I even do anything with the item purchased, then if something is bad wrong with it, It should be fair for me to leave a negative comment, if after I have tried to get a replacement part and have failed to do so. But what happens is like you said, even if I paid on time, and get a ****ty item in return, I receive a made up BS negative comment lie made up after I leave a negative comment........Sellers should have to complete a simple immediate response about the buyer as soon as they receive payment for the item, probably specified within their own guidelines of payment terms. I just don't like the way it works...........it's almost like the damn credit bureau reporting agencies!!!!

I am goin threw BS right now on Ebay for a $16 CD :rolleyes: guy said it must have gotten lost (ya I paid the $1 ins :cool: ) .. so I email him and he emails back .. I can just refund your $$$ or can send you another CD.. hey I bid the damm thing why wouldn't I want it now ??!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

I gladly ship to Canada. I charge $1.50 more to fill out the customs slip, but postage is actually cheaper to Canada than it is to mail the same small package (2.5 ounces) across town.

E-bay's/paypal's Monopoly sucks, but until someone else steps up to the plate to compete, I'll pay the fees.

My pet peave is the people who ask me a million questions, want specific pictures and special shipping option never seem to bid on my item or only only bid half of what its worth. I sware its probably only 5% of the people who ask question seem to put in serious bids, usually its the person who never asks a question is the high bidder.

I usually check out the items under the "Buick Grand National" section on EBay every night, before I go to bed.Just maybe I'll see that rare part,or piece of literature I can grab.More than a few times I have seen items I'd love to have/bid on offered by EBay sellers by the name of "Jersey Poppy",or "1HOT87".Do you think they would ship to Canada????No way.I am curious if either of these two guys frequent this site? Just want to say how much I appreciate those sellers that do ship to Canada.Like WLDWST said "it takes the same effort for us to ship an item to the U.S".I have never turned down a U.S. buyer on the few parts I've shipped,from either of these boards.

This is what pisses me off too. I have bought several items and yet the sellers won't leave positive feedback until you the buyer do, why? If I have bought an item, paid for it on time within your specified specs, then leave me an F*ING positive feedback. It may be a week or two before I even do anything with the item purchased, then if something is bad wrong with it, It should be fair for me to leave a negative comment, if after I have tried to get a replacement part and have failed to do so. But what happens is like you said, even if I paid on time, and get a ****ty item in return, I receive a made up BS negative comment lie made up after I leave a negative comment........Sellers should have to complete a simple immediate response about the buyer as soon as they receive payment for the item, probably specified within their own guidelines of payment terms. I just don't like the way it works...........it's almost like the damn credit bureau reporting agencies!!!!
This has torqued me off a few times as well....then the seller sends an email saying...Please leave me feedback and I will do the same for you..and that torques me off more.. I usually respond with something like,
"I sent you the money the instant the auction ended..you should have left me positive feedback a long time ago since I paid promptly as a buyer..so leave me feedback and I will do the same to you since I paid for an item without having it in hands..I took all the risk not you the seller, so you should make sure your products are what they are sold as and represented correctly and you should have no problem getting positive fb."

I am goin threw BS right now on Ebay for a $16 CD :rolleyes: guy said it must have gotten lost (ya I paid the $1 ins :cool: ) .. so I email him and he emails back .. I can just refund your $$$ or can send you another CD.. hey I bid the damm thing why wouldn't I want it now ??!!! :mad: :rolleyes:

Well crap Grumpy, name and it and i prolly got it on CD, unless your looking for Slim Whitman or Zamphir, master of the pan flute who just happens to have sold more albums then the Beatles in Zembawbe

Whatcha lookin for? old stoner music? Savoy Brown bring back memories for ya..LOL or lack of:biggrin:

I dont see the problem shipping to Canada either. I keep a stack of customs forms in my desk so I fill them out before hiking out to the PO. Now I guess you might have point with waiting in long lines. I usually send my wife to handle that chore for me. But than we live out in the sticks and my PO is in a tiny one horse town so the wait is never very long. If I do it myself the PO by my job is also a small one. The only time I have to wait is now during the holidays of if I hit them between 11:00-2:00 during the lunch hour rush. What kills me is the international shipments. I've shipped big heavy engine stuff and it just kills me to sell something for $20 and charge $100 for shipping. So no more of that for me anyway.

My big complaint is the dorks that want you to ship for free. Okay like most people here I charge actuall shipping. Priority is a fixed rate as long as it fits in the USPS box. If it cost me $9.00 and I charge you $10 than call it even. Aint nobody getting rich off of these deals. I had some old NOS Vega stuff. So I threw a set of OEM brake pads with an open bid of $9.99 and S&H of $10. I figure if I couldn't make $10 on them than that's my tuff luck. So 6 peeps put me on their watch list and nobody buys them. Two days later some clown e-mails me and says he would have bought them but I was gouging the winner by charging $10 bucks. So I lay down the law on how much listing fees,PP and so forth actually cost me. I more or less tell him to go to USPS.com and check it out himself. So than he proceeds to tell me how UPS is only X dollars blah,blah,blah. I told him he F'd himself out of a cheap set of pads.:mad: One time I sold a calendar. I charged $2.00 to mail it in a padded envelope. They tried leaving negative feedback because a stamp only cost $.37.

And than there was the joker selling MC tires who wouldn't ship them to me because I didn't have a verified PP address. My bill goes to a PO box.Which was the verified address. He only shipped FedEx. I guess this guy was really worried that either I was going to screw him over or the PP police were going to get him for not following the PP rules.:rolleyes:

there's always arguments to both sides of dealing on ebay, whether you're the buyer or seller.

Sellers have a good reason to be cautious with non-verified addresses. if the purchase is paid for via PP, but sent to a different (non-verified) address, and the buyer says he didnt recieve it, guess what... the seller is out the $ AND the item. can you blame a seller for being cautious?

buyers have to realize that "postage" isn't the only expense included in with the shipping charges. there's a box, packing material, ebay fees (listing + selling), paypal fees, etc., etc. Is it fair for the buyer to pay these? well, I guess that depends on 2 things: 1) does the buyer want the item bad enough? 2) is the item price + the shipping price TOTAL, of both, worth it to buy the item? NOW, is it fair for the seller to pay these? Sellers are already trying to cut fees down in certain ways to be able to sell items to people who want them. Consider this: buyers need to realize that ebay makes it fees off of sellers. so, really, does it (or should it) make a difference to the buyer if, for example, he pays $1 for the item & $9 for shipping ($10 total) OR $10 for the item with free shipping? NO, the cost to the buyer is still $10 either way. BUT, now look at those same 2 from the sellers end: the 1st way costs the seller 5 cents as a selling fee. The 2nd way costs the seller 53 cents. Multiply this by 100 (or 1000) sales & its a HUGE difference in the sellers bottom line. So, if the cost is the same to the buyer, why should the sellers make ebay MORE richer than they are already? Next time you see a funky shipping fee with a cheap item price, THINK about why the seller is doing it this way (don't go telling the seller that 9 bucks for shipping is a lot! they already know that it is & now YOU know why they are doing it this way! - the seller cannot state this fact on their ebay ads). With that in mind, most sellers cannot afford to pay all the associated selling costs of doing business on ebay by deducting it (absorbing the cost) or adding it on (whichever the case may be) to the ITEM price, so it has to be tacked onto the shipping charges. Either the "total" is a good deal or its not, thats all you really should need to justify to make the purchase, or pass. I don't think its gouging on shipping for sellers to include ALL these costs in this charge. Just remember that if sellers are not allowed to cover their costs to sell an item, then eventually nothing will be for sale! Isn't that the way it works? If a buyer wants something the seller has, I'm sure the seller isn't going to PAY costs out of his own pocket just so that a buyer can get what he wants... what kind of business operates like that? So why should ebay be any different? Just because a buyer doesn't "see" the costs doesn't mean that there aren't any.

As a buyer, I know perfectly well that an item I just bought could be sent in a regular envelope to me for 41 cents, but the seller charged me $5 for shipping. Did I complain? No. Did I know the seller was going to ship it to me that way? yes. However, I bought the item for $10, so even with the $5 shipping charge (making it $15 total) the item was still selling elsewhere for over $25. So, $15 WAS a bargain, even with the (assumed) high shipping charge. $10 was saved on this purchase. THAT is what most buyers need to concentrate on, did they get a good deal OVERALL? Not just say, well, the shipping was overpriced. Of course it LOOKED like the shipping was a lot, but the deal in general was a good one. Don't just assume you're getting ripped off on shipping. You COULDN'T have bought this item cheaper elsewhere, or else you would have! Could the seller have charged less for shipping? Yes, but of course then I am sure the seller would have raised the ITEM price by the exact same amount (or more)! Different methods, but both result in the same price for the buyer.

If you look at most sellers feedback scores, for the shipping section, you will see that almost ALL sellers have the lowest numbers here compared to the other ratings that they list. NO ONE ever thinks that shipping charges are reasonable! Thats just the way it goes & the screwed up method that the p.o. has incorporated now makes it even worse. But as long as overall you feel like the total price you pay is worth it for the item, that should be all that matters, not how all the charges break down into what category.

As for the feedback comments - most sellers don't leave feedback first because over 75% of buyers don't leave return feedback at all - REGARDLESS if the sellers leave it for them first or not! As an ebay seller, I don't leave it first, but as soon as the buyer leaves it, it is left for them, ALWAYS. Also realize that some of us sellers are waiting for feedback to be left so we know that the item was received by you, its just an easy tracking method.

(for 2quik6 on your comment) if you pay by paypal, exactly "what" risk are you taking? none as far as I see. your PP payment is protected, if you dont receive it / if its not as described / etc - you can get your $ back. Thats pretty risk free as I see it! For the f/b comment, see above, (most of the time) it doesn't have anything to do with sellers fear of their product being bad. I, for one, don't believe in wasting my time leaving f/b for a customer who isnt going to reciprocate. thats only fair. And sellers don't know who is going to leave it & who isn't, so the only rational thing to do is to wait for buyers to leave it first. Those people who say sellers should have to leave f/b upon receipt of payment: perhaps then there should be a forced "leave f/b upon receipt of item!" Otherwise, as already stated, 75% of those buyers wont be leaving it at all. Ebay is based on feedback, so no free props to you if its not returned. Thats why almost all experienced sellers wait for buyers first. For bad items received though, I agree, leaving a neg f/b for the seller usually gets the same in return, but unfortunately the system isn't perfect and theres really no way around that. One bad comment left by a bad seller on your f/b can be responded to ("this is retalitory feedback") and although it knocks your numbers down, explains the situation to others. Plus, anyone whos really looking at the comments will surely look at the other ones and decide whether its a one-time occurance or do you repeatedly have these responses, then judge accordingly.

Canada shipping isn't much more difficult than to the U.S., just more expensive. As for waiting in lines at the P.O., why would you even bother doing that nowadays when you can do it all thru paypal (including filling out the customs forms)? All you need is the package weight. For manually filling out forms, your address, their address, description, value, date & signature are the only things you need for packages... whats so hard about that? Grab a stack next time you're at the post office then you'll have them for future use. Fill them out before you go & you wont be at the counter any longer than mailing to anywhere else.

Guess thats enough for one post! Hows that for a rant? sorry for rambling, but I've been on both sides of these issues... you can never please everybody no matter how hard you try. :smile:

You guys who have issues with shipping to Canada, all need to take a course taught by Quick6"n'-K.C. Bryan

I do know that there a lots of Canadian guys who would love to send there business your way.

Dave-
I REALLY appreciate the complements and bringing your thoughts of me into this thread. I always try and make things right in my life, and waiting in line on a saturday making my canadian friends happy, its worth it... I love going to the post office, its just down the road from me and its really not that much more work than shipping the package 100 miles away.

I think that turbov6bryan guy on ebay sells to everyone nationwide, but he doesnt sell alot, maybe he has a few ebay accounts?:eek: Just Kidding:eek: ;)
E-bay's/paypal's Monopoly sucks, but until someone else steps up to the plate to compete, I'll pay the fees.

Oh my god, Isnt Paypal located in ST joe missouri?

You have a great idea, maybe we should start a new business together.

Instead of calling it paypal, we can call it instant wire transfer! :biggrin:

BW