what is the proper way to measure pushrod checker?

Turbo Steve

ok checking pushrod height with a pushrod checker. I came up with a desired length and on a ruler it looks like 8 1/16" or around there is there a precise device available that reads in hundreths?

#1 Put some Dykem on the valve stem, #2 cycle the lifter once using a starter button, #3 Remove the lifter and see where the lifter ware is on the valve stem. If the red paint "dykem" is worn on the middle of the valve stem your right on the money with push rod length. ;) I measured with a tape measure, called Crower and they had them in stock. :) Just an FYI

Layout Fluids Family

My machine shop had Big Calipers to measure them exact. I was off about 5 thous with a Good Ruler. Not a lot but why not be exact I figured? Only cost me my time.

Measuring pushrods with a caliper may not provide the results you want. Most companies sell pushords based on "gauge length" This compensates for the very tip of the pushrod that is cut off due to the oil hole.

You can buy pushrod lenght checkers that will directly give you the gauge length to order. The checkers have very accurate threads and give you exactly .050" per revolution. They are available in several ranges. I got mine from Trend Products (sister company to Diamond Pistons).

Dave

well I figure I need a 8.050 or a 8.100 the 8.100 is close to 8 1/8" and 8.050 is about a 8 1/16" correct me if im off

Measure Exactly the length you want & call Manton or Smith Bros They will give you Exactly the tip to tip length you ask for. Mine were Right On & so were my friends with our double order & it was here in Canada in 4 days!! Thats Fast!! We used Manton but both are great!

PS: You can set the checker, tape it tight & mail it to them if you like?