What is the next mod? I'm thinking intercooler

Matt McClung

Hotair guy who owns a I/C
Well, the list so far is pte 66 turbo, dutweiller neck on stock ic, built 200r4 with a 3200 stall, razors alky, 60 lb injectors, walbro fuel pump with Hotwire, ls1 maf with translator, extended chip, all necessary gauges and scanmaster. The bottom end is built with a stroker crank but the top end is still stock, bigger can but has stock heads, stock intake and stock throttle body. It does have an RJC powerplate though. I dyno'd it today and found that I'm running 452 hp and 460 lb torque to the rear wheels. I know I can unleash a lot more but will wait till winter to do the heads and intake. Agree that a better ic can make a difference at this level?

Thanks

Matt

Powerlog it, and see what the intake temps are??
Spend the $$ intended for the IC, and do the heads/intake first?

Kind of makes no sense to do rebuild the engine to that extent and not port the heads. I'd do the heads and shop around for a used larger intercooler, either slic or front mount. On the other hand, doing an intercooler would be quicker and easier. Guess it depends on your funds and time to do the work. Don't see a powerlogger listed. Maybe that should be first anyway.

Kind of makes no sense to do rebuild the engine to that extent and not port the heads. I'd do the heads and shop around for a used larger intercooler, either slic or front mount. On the other hand, doing an intercooler would be quicker and easier. Guess it depends on your funds and time to do the work. Don't see a powerlogger listed. Maybe that should be first anyway.[/QUOT

No powerlogger, maybe that should be first. The reason the bottom end is built is because I had crank bearing let go and scored the crank. I figured I would build it the way I wanted to for future mods. Not planning on going in this order but since the work had to be done, might as well stroke it at the same time like I wanted to do. I have the timing set fairly conservative to avoid doing damage. I do have a caspers knock gauge as well. I'll check on the powerlogger so I can more easily tune for maximum power with what I currently have.

Well, the list so far is pte 66 turbo, dutweiller neck on stock ic, built 200r4 with a 3200 stall, razors alky, 60 lb injectors, walbro fuel pump with Hotwire, ls1 maf with translator, extended chip, all necessary gauges and scanmaster. The bottom end is built with a stroker crank but the top end is still stock, bigger can but has stock heads, stock intake and stock throttle body. It does have an RJC powerplate though. I dyno'd it today and found that I'm running 452 hp and 460 lb torque to the rear wheels. I know I can unleash a lot more but will wait till winter to do the heads and intake. Agree that a better ic can make a difference at this level?

Thanks

Matt
If your going heads cam in the winter which will wake that combo right up,the intercooler should be on the menu with those upgrades.buying it now is your choice since you will need it later but getting a performance gain now at your level is if anything minimal.

Well, I'm going to order a powerlogger, wideband o2, and Eric's chip that allows the wideband to control fuel. I believe I will have an easier time with tuning and can potentially get a lot more power out of the current setup, and once winter is here again, I will upgrade heads, intake, plenum, throttle body and intercooler.

I would put the money esle where ,instead of the buying the power logger! If u still got the stock Ecu I think Eric can more than likely make a chip for you as long as you are detail filling out your combo!

My buddy has completely stock engine with a 6266 and pte intercooler and it made 472 and 483 and he just has a scan master and aem Wideband! And hes does 90% street racing he's on his 3 set of Mickey Thompson already! The tune is spot on from Eric!

He is on e-85.
Most ppl prob won't agree with me on this but hi to each there own!

There's way too many reasons to get a Powerlogger than not, especially when you are modifying.

Well, I'm going to order a powerlogger, wideband o2, and Eric's chip that allows the wideband to control fuel. I believe I will have an easier time with tuning and can potentially get a lot more power out of the current setup, and once winter is here again, I will upgrade heads, intake, plenum, throttle body and intercooler.
If the extender chip is working right and your tune is strong moving control to a wideband will not make more power.your future upgrades are where the power is.at 500rwhp your putting plenty of squeeze through the stock heads,upgrading the heads cam intercooler will allow you to move more air through the motor.

I would put the money esle where ,instead of the buying the power logger! If u still got the stock Ecu I think Eric can more than likely make a chip for you as long as you are detail filling out your combo!

My buddy has completely stock engine with a 6266 and pte intercooler and it made 472 and 483 and he just has a scan master and aem Wideband! And hes does 90% street racing he's on his 3 set of Mickey Thompson already! The tune is spot on from Eric!

He is on e-85.
Most ppl prob won't agree with me on this but hi to each there own!
No doubt Eric can cut a chip and kiss really does work(y)I like his stuff however with the upgrades the op plans and if he plans on really getting involved in the tuning grabbing more data can only help.

There's way too many reasons to get a Powerlogger than not, especially when you are modifying.

Eric already lets u tune for WOT fuel/spark through the scanmaster. His drivabitly is next to none! Yea u can see other data through powerlogger that the scanmaster can't! You can't tune around TQ slip or the wrong cam! So why spend 300$ or whatever it is for it. That's just me tho[/QUOTE]

Well, it can help you find a fuel pump that going south and save your engine or a wonky MAF or alternator as well as a dozen other uses. No doubt his chips are nice but having hard data that you go back to and compare to other logs is tremendously helpful. Once you have one you'll never go back to just having a faction of the picture.