what is the boost for a stock 98 regal gs

nonosbad1964

I have a 98 regal gs it has 108000 miles and when I got it it would boost 6 psi and gradually it started dropping the psi and now I can only get 3 psi out of it and I wanted to get the pully kit but I see people say chipped pistons and stuff what do I do and can you help!!

Make sure the belt isn't slipping. Check the boost bypass valve, make sure it is closing all the way. Stock boost should be around 7 to 8. If you add a pulley, keep good gas in it. I ran a 3.25 pulley, which was around 13psi. I installed colder spark plugs. On 94 octane, it ran good, but If I was playing around on the streets, it would heat soak, and detonate. A 3.4 pulley works great on the street. A 160 stat and cooler plugs should be used.

Thanks for the help I dont know anything about this car im usualy building small block chevys,but I like the sound of a family car sleeper.. What is the boost bypass valve and where can i find it and if i do find it how do i check it to make sure its closing??

Here are some items to check and usually the suspects.

1st Check the belt. Make sure it has plent of tension. that the tensioner pulley functions properly both spinning and the srping actuated tension adjustment. I have seen these break or seize up and not keep proper tension on the belt. Evaluate the belt and look for nay glazing or very shiney places on it. If so you mihgt want to replace.

2nd Check the bypass valve. This unit helps control boost when you let off the throtttle. I have had them over time get corroded and they will stick open ot partially open. To find look at the fron of the engine between the fron valve cover and the blower middle to right hand side. you will see what looks like a little vacume operated plunger that goes up against an L shaped arm. when the car is not running make sure all of these components move freely and the arm goes all the way to the horizontal position. They will sometimes stick open. You can use a little bit of WD 40 to clean the rust and free these items. Let us know what you find out.

I found it the belt is good tensioner is good found the bypass valve and it is doing exactly what you said it should be doing, moves free and in the horizontal position when engine is off , I even turned the car on to see it opperate and the rod suckes all the way in with the vacume and when I rev the engine the rod comes out,Could the supercharger be going bad? I heard thy will last only about 125000 miles I have 108000

Thats cool to hear, I ran mine hard and it just started loosing psi I tinnk I have looked through everything all I get is 3 psi

thanks all you guys for your help I found the problem it was a plug that came unpluged from the boost bypass valve,and now all the power is back YA!!!

Make sure your running premium octane, the 87 is not recommended for these cars. The info that forcefed3.8's gave you was right on!

The 3.4 is great for the street in good air you should get 9-11 lbs of boost.
If you have not upgraded the exaust, that is where you want to start. There is a u bend in the pipe where the 02 goes that is killing your performance!

The regalgs board as mentioned is a good place for info.

I had a 97 for awhile and did a 3.25 pulley, colder plugs, cold air kit, DP, ubend delete pipe 3inch exhaust no muffler and went 13.70's in the 1/4 not bad for car that was 15.5's stock. The 13.7 run was in 60 degree temps and a 1.9 sixty ft on DR's.

Good luck...:)