Heat exchangers for supercharged 3800s?

JasonArthurTaylor

the stock regal gs 3800 LS67 is lacking an intercooler. this limits boost to like 6 psi or so, depending.

zzperformance of course makes the intercooler with a heat exchanger everyone uses, but IMO it is really tiny and perhaps not so good.

is there anyone else making an intercooler solution (using a heat exchanger or not) that can be fitted to a SC LS67 3800?

Its a L67 not LS67. I have a IC kit I bought used for a my Gen III from a very reputable W body owner and never got around to using it. The exchanger is a radiator from a VW or Volvo I think don't remember which? Works better than the ZZP unit. I'll get pics but want to sell as a whole. If interested lmk

Yep, the 1980's Scirocco VW radiator is the typical drag car radiator which you can mount as an IC radiator on these cars.

I got my latest one from RockAuto for ~$80 to run the air-water setup on my turbo Regal, and it works great with a Bosch pump and some extra volume with a trunk tank for kicks.

652621__ra_p.jpg

Thought I had a better head-on photo of this mounted (maybe on my phone, still), but here's a shot of it comfortably behind my bumper (swapped to aluminum Aztek/Rendezvous support)...
1660007205508.png

- Mount opposite way to have passenger-side ports for M90 intercooler
- Capped overflow port (can run a purge line to bleed air, but my headlight was too close, so I did it on the big line)
- 2" L-brackets mount to end tank holes nicely, if you want to utilize them and the bumper, otherwise ~18" bars will vertically mount to car's radiator frame nicely (done both)

Found a couple better pics when I put the new VW radiator in for my intercooler, which is on the reverse side for turbo use...
(don't mind grid fins' distortion, had to compress image to upload)
IMG_20200805_191129076-a.jpg

IMG_20200805_191147372_HDR-a.jpg

Just added a couple access holes to install the bracket hardware by fully sending a step-bit thru (~1" dia or so). I have the Bosch pump mounted below the driver's headlight for minimal routing to the core I have there. It'll move to the passenger side if/when I toss a supercharged setup back in this car for fun and probably flip the VW radiator around.

Last edited: